Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order?

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

Quick question. I have one PT425 wheel motor that has failed (hub bearing/seal failure). In your experience, how likely is it that the others will also fail?

I'm trying to figure out what a repair schedule might look like.

My PT425 is from 2003, but only has around 260 hours on it.

-Rob :)

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #2  
Might depend on how much metal went through the system.

And how well what did, was cleaned out.

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order?
Let me ask this another way - assuming that we didn't get massive metal contamination (I don't see any - It appears to be a seal failure) that has buggered everything, then historically, do you start to see the other wheel motors start to leak shortly after the first motor goes, or is it more-likely that the other wheel motors will tend to be fine for months or years more?

I know this isn't scientific, but I'm just looking for experiences folks have had. :)

Rob

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #4  
I had one blow shortly after I bought mine (5 hours, seal) and a second one at about 100 hours (The replacement motor, which was replaced by my original rebuilt motor) 900 hours later still going strong. When Terry sent back my original motor after rebuilding, he commented that they almost never go bad, which was why I was getting the same motor back.

Hope that helps,

Peter

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #5  
I have over 3,000 hours on my 422 and last year I had power trac repair one wheel motor , I have never had any other problems with wheel motors

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #6  
I had a seal go out on my Grasshopper mower at 2200 hours. No damage to the shaft so I put a seal in it and put it back together. 100 hours later so far so good.

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #7  
I agree with the others. If a seal went out, and that's all, then there's probably no metal in the fluid. Replace the seal and off you go.

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order?
Thanks to all. This forum is, as always, invaluable. Even for anecdotal opinion questions like mine. :)

You folks are the best!

-Rob :)

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #9  
I had one fail years back and none of the others have failed.

/ Now that one wheel motor has failed, how likely the others will in short order? #10  
Doomed. Let me know where you discard the machine. ;-)

Seriously, +1 to the seal and carry on... Put a spare on the shelf if your machine is mission critical. I find having a spare of something pretty well guarantees I'll never need THAT part!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New AGT Mini Excavator H15 Yellow (A34302)
New AGT Mini...
DRAGON 5' 3PT BRUSH HOG... (A34808)
DRAGON 5' 3PT...
International 3788 2+2 4WD Tractor (A33113)
International 3788...
1978 Shopmade Gooseneck Trailer (A33113)
1978 Shopmade...
FORD PICKUP BED TRAILER, NO TITLE (A34808)
FORD PICKUP BED...
SPRAY RIG TRL MTD... (A34808)
SPRAY RIG TRL...