Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #41  
I learned from tbn that I've been approaching tire pressure all wrong. Max rating listed on the sidewalk, key word is "max". Lower the pressure in them r4 tires, it does wonders for traction and ride comfort.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #42  
I don't go fast enough to bounce around on R4's
and am very comfy with them. I have no desire
to race someplace to bounce around and be
uncomfortable. I'm very happy with my setup.
But then again everybody is not happy with
just puttin along.

willy
I don't know what people are talking about when they mention "ride quality". Really? You go fast enough on a tractor to be concerned with ride quality? I never "road" my tractor, and when I am repairing my road, I sure ain't flying down the road. Ride quality has never been of any concern to me.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #43  
That figures. Most Deere dealers are staffed with people that have no clue about anything.
I bought a new MX 5400 this spring with R-4's. My first go around with them when everything else I ever had was AG tires. I REALLY LIKE THEM... tractor seems so much more stable and less bouncy.
I agree and my new MX6000 has filled R4s. The only time that I wish I had R1s is on icy snow. R4s can slide a bit in those conditions. Tire chains for winter use can fix that.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #44  
I don't know what people are talking about when they mention "ride quality". Really? You go fast enough on a tractor to be concerned with ride quality? I never "road" my tractor, and when I am repairing my road, I sure ain't flying down the road. Ride quality has never been of any concern to me.
I'll spend 15-30 minutes roading to & from a job that will take me a couple hours. Faster than 15 minutes loading & unloading twice each way. So it makes sense to factor ride quality in with the traction & other factors. Most of my work is rough field mowing, which doesn't have traction requirements really. I can give up a little traction for the little dirt & gravel work o do. I need chains for max snow traction no matter what tires I'd be running.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #45  
I am interested in R14s. The R1s that came on my tractor are wearing out in the front.

Things I do that R1s do well: Plow. Disk. Box blade. Bush hog. Push trees over. Often in slippery conditions and on hills.

Things I do that my R1s do not do well: Hauling max capacity loads on the loader. The front R1s tend to balloon and roll over, especially while turning. Very bouncy under big loads...not a comfort issue; a stability issue.

Things I don't care about: Snow traction. Tearing up grass. Ride quality. Looks.

What I would like in an ideal world: R1 traction and R4 load handling. I'm sure that you can't get both but I'd accept a compromise between the two.

Interested in how the R14s handle this specific compromise. Anyone have experience with these parameters?

Probably a moot point because as of a few weeks ago they did not make R14s that would fit on my Kubota L4400 4wd....which seems crazy.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #46  
I like my filled R14s. Have not had a chance to test them in snow yet but they handle our hills well. And have been fine for what I mostly do, loader work.

My tractor feels very stable, which I attribute to rear spacers giving 6" more width. I run 20 psi all around, per salesman's advice and manual, and don't bounce so I'd notice. I also run mostly in low range except for running down the road in high to fill up.

My only concern is durability. I have no evidence they will wear unusually, just that would be expensive.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #47  
Same as Mossy... I am running filled R14's and like them so far. 95% of my tractor use is mowing with occasional grapple use cleaning up downed trees. Previously ran R1 for 27 years, had same concerns OP wrote about. Never have had R4's so cannot comment or compare there.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #48  
If you're looking for a better ride, don't waste your money on converting to R14's. Buy an air ride seat instead.

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #49  
All this discussion of R1, R4, R14,, and turf tires,,,,
it is like the tractor owners think they can switch from one type to another,,,,,,

On a 4WD tractor, you risk damage by simply changing from a Firestone to a Goodyear tire, in the EXACT same size.

The type of wheel
used also has a major impact on rolling circumference,,

I have 2 different tractors that I have investigated changing from one RX tire to the other RY kind of tire,,
in both cases new wheels are required,,

Has anyone factored in the cost of new wheels in their evaluation of tire type??

/ Now That R14 Tires Have Been Out For A While #50  
But some folks ride their tractors to go to church Sundays, and church is far from home.