NX6010 quick loss of drive power

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #1  

Overtaxed

Tractor
Kioti NX6010, JD 2720 w/46BH, Honda Pioneer 1000
So, I've been having a strange problem with my 6010, it's very random, but it seems to be related to load/PTO.

Starting off, the symptom is that sometimes the hydro "jumps". It's hard to describe, but it's not smooth, like I'll go front/back and it jerks a little before it starts to go backwards. It also feels like I'm missing power sometimes heading up hills, but that could be my imagination. It's also a little noisy sometimes when I turn the power steering hard over, and move the FEL.

Long story short, I think something is up with the hydro system. Now, here's the really strange thing, I have no idea if I'm low/high/right on hydro fluid. Sometimes I pull the stick, there's nothing on it. Other times, I pull the stick and it's overflowing (like actually comes out the check hole. And other times, I pull it and it's dead in the middle.

So, let's start with the easy stuff, how the heck are you supposed to check the hydro fluid on this thing? FEL on the ground, 3pt all the way down and ice cold? Warmed up? FEL and 3PT all the way up? Running? Not running? I've tried just about every combination and gotten a different result, so if this is a "low hydro fluid" problem, I need to figure out 'how low' and put some in there. Now, the other complication, the fluid in there is a mix of Tractor Supply (the universal stuff that's on the Kioti cross reference) and Kioti; I had a leak in one of my remotes and had to top it off and, on top of that, I changed out the filters about 20 hours ago and added fluid to make up for whatever I lost. All told, I have maybe 4 gallons of the Tractor Supply fluid in there and the rest is whatever Kioti put in after the first service.

Any suggestions? Dump it all and start over, putting in the correct amount? Just top it off (to where though??). Any idea why I'm seeing this behavior?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / NX6010 quick loss of drive power #2  
I would start by filling the hydro fluid, at least to the low mark, with it cold and setting level. If the level jumps all over the place, maybe you are entraining air (bubbles) in the fluid. That would be my guess. If the level is too low you might be sucking air into the system which would cause many odd behaviors. This is a generic answer; I din't have a 6010.

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power
I would start by filling the hydro fluid, at least to the low mark, with it cold and setting level. If the level jumps all over the place, maybe you are entraining air (bubbles) in the fluid. That would be my guess. If the level is too low you might be sucking air into the system which would cause many odd behaviors. This is a generic answer; I din't have a 6010.

That's a reasonable guess, I do hear a "sucking sound" when I open the fill hole on the hydro when the tractor is running. So I wonder if it's "foaming up" a bit and then making it look like there's more in there.

But, starting point, tractor should be ice cold, sitting level to check hydro fluid? Sounds like that's what your suggesting, and what I'll take as a first step. Does loader/3PT make any difference?

Thank you!

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #4  
Loader makes no difference. 3-point makes very little difference, but best if full down.

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #5  
Loader makes no difference. 3-point makes very little difference, but best if full down.

Ha! I've got a video where I set my loader lower to get oil into the transmission to keep going up a hill blowing snow. I didn't know it at the time, but a bladder seal had blown on the left lift ram and I was leaking oil out of the loader all the while it was in the air. Winter time, so no dust to call attention to it. Anyway, using the PTO blowing snow backing up a hill and I came to a stop, you see me cycle the plow side to side, but that didn't send more oil into the tank and it wasn't until I dropped the loader down a bit that raised the tank oil level just enough for the HST start moving in reverse again. The magic of video editing doesn't show the time spent out of frame pouring in three gallons of J20 hydro/trans oil between cuts. The incident happens at 3:45 in the video.

So, I've been having a strange problem with my 6010, it's very random, but it seems to be related to load/PTO.

Starting off, the symptom is that sometimes the hydro "jumps". It's hard to describe, but it's not smooth, like I'll go front/back and it jerks a little before it starts to go backwards. It also feels like I'm missing power sometimes heading up hills, but that could be my imagination. It's also a little noisy sometimes when I turn the power steering hard over, and move the FEL.

Long story short, I think something is up with the hydro system. Now, here's the really strange thing, I have no idea if I'm low/high/right on hydro fluid. Sometimes I pull the stick, there's nothing on it. Other times, I pull the stick and it's overflowing (like actually comes out the check hole. And other times, I pull it and it's dead in the middle.

So, let's start with the easy stuff, how the heck are you supposed to check the hydro fluid on this thing? FEL on the ground, 3pt all the way down and ice cold? Warmed up? FEL and 3PT all the way up? Running? Not running? I've tried just about every combination and gotten a different result, so if this is a "low hydro fluid" problem, I need to figure out 'how low' and put some in there. Now, the other complication, the fluid in there is a mix of Tractor Supply (the universal stuff that's on the Kioti cross reference) and Kioti; I had a leak in one of my remotes and had to top it off and, on top of that, I changed out the filters about 20 hours ago and added fluid to make up for whatever I lost. All told, I have maybe 4 gallons of the Tractor Supply fluid in there and the rest is whatever Kioti put in after the first service.

Any suggestions? Dump it all and start over, putting in the correct amount? Just top it off (to where though??). Any idea why I'm seeing this behavior?

Thanks!

Check the dipstick, fill until the middle.

Your loss of power it sounds like the engine is running too cold which I started to experience in the fall around 35 degree F. I had the same sypthoms but installed a warmer operating T-stat and suddenly I had a much more powerful machine.

The windows didn't fog up, because the heat was hot. I could use high gear in the cold because the hydro oil warmed up to operating temp. And instead of regenerating every 8-12 hours, I went to the expected 30-40 hour regeneration time. As I've now extensively tested, a Stant 48808 thermostat is a drop in replacement. Works great in the summer under full load, warms up quickly and maintains operating temperature in the winter耀omething a stock NX could not do. Make sure you have a spare T-stat gasket. I use the mushy blue gasket material to make my own.

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #6  
Ha! I've got a video where I set my loader lower to get oil into the transmission to keep going up a hill blowing snow. I didn't know it at the time, but a bladder seal had blown on the left lift ram and I was leaking oil out of the loader all the while it was in the air. Winter time, so no dust to call attention to it. Anyway, using the PTO blowing snow backing up a hill and I came to a stop, you see me cycle the plow side to side, but that didn't send more oil into the tank and it wasn't until I dropped the loader down a bit that raised the tank oil level just enough for the HST start moving in reverse again. The magic of video editing doesn't show the time spent out of frame pouring in three gallons of J20 hydro/trans oil between cuts. The incident happens at 3:45 in the video.

Check the dipstick, fill until the middle.

Your loss of power it sounds like the engine is running too cold which I started to experience in the fall around 35 degree F. I had the same sypthoms but installed a warmer operating T-stat and suddenly I had a much more powerful machine.

The windows didn't fog up, because the heat was hot. I could use high gear in the cold because the hydro oil warmed up to operating temp. And instead of regenerating every 8-12 hours, I went to the expected 30-40 hour regeneration time. As I've now extensively tested, a Stant 48808 thermostat is a drop in replacement. Works great in the summer under full load, warms up quickly and maintains operating temperature in the winter耀omething a stock NX could not do. Make sure you have a spare T-stat gasket. I use the mushy blue gasket material to make my own.

All this from the person that had his warranty VOIDED.

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #7  
All this from the person that had his warranty VOIDED.

As a tech with tuning experience what I determined with my NX6010 was the engine was running too cold. I found the problem is the by-pass in the stock thermostat was too weak. This weakness allowed too much coolant to by-pass the thermostat preventing the motor from warming up or maintaining a warm operating temperature in colder climates. The thermostat by-pass acted as if engine was running as if it has no thermostat at all. Solution: a smaller bypass gallery or a stronger bypass spring.

Here is the video that led me to investigating and addressing the problem because I literally had a useless peice of equipment and my then brand new dealer had no idea what to do.

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #8  
As a tech with tuning experience what I determined with my NX6010 was the engine was running too cold. I found the problem is the by-pass in the stock thermostat was too weak. This weakness allowed too much coolant to by-pass the thermostat preventing the motor from warming up or maintaining a warm operating temperature in colder climates. The thermostat by-pass acted as if engine was running as if it has no thermostat at all. Solution: a smaller bypass gallery or a stronger bypass spring.

Here is the video that led me to investigating and addressing the problem because I literally had a useless peice of equipment and my then brand new dealer had no idea what to do.

And the crying continues..LOL..2 words "SELL IT" and quit your bitchen..I often wonder with ALL of your VAST tuning experience WHY kioti has not hired you as one of there TOP techs??LAFFIN..

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power #9  
And the crying continues..LOL..2 words "SELL IT" and quit your bitchen..I often wonder with ALL of your VAST tuning experience WHY kioti has not hired you as one of there TOP techs??LAFFIN..

Huh? This was something that occurred several years ago. He's stating what he did to rectify an issue he had- he's not complaining now (about that issue).

/ NX6010 quick loss of drive power
Interesting. I wasn't thinking about operating temp, and I don't think this is my problem because I'm running it in the warm weather, but that demo you give of high gear dying out, my tractor does that too. I can't climb even a very moderate hill in high, it will go on a perfect flat, but, up anything like a hill, it'll just die out and stall (if I hold the pedal full down). Interesting. The hydro oil mystery remains, pulled the stick the other day after some brush cutting, almost dry. Went back a day later, it was overflowing from the hole. Very confused. I'm half tempted to dump it all and just put in the "right" amount, per the manual, and see where that leaves me.