Oak tree hole rot

/ Oak tree hole rot #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
I have this beautiful oak tree with a small hole (5" across,5" deep) that fills with water when it rains. I am afraid that over time rot will start here and take out the tree. I have some rot already. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Can I fill this hole up with some thing to prevent further rot??
thanks again,
george

/ Oak tree hole rot #2  
Years ago they used cement to fill holes and the tree would simply grow over the plug. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Oak tree hole rot #3  
George
When I was a kid. My dad filled all the trees that had damage or holes with concrete mortar. Then painted the area with white wash. Don’t know if this was the correct fix. Most of the trees were fruit trees. Cheery, Apple, Pear and Peach. They always bore fruit and were still there when a commercial business had every tree bulldozed down in the early 80’s. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I sure would fill the hole with something, but not sure cement would be the best thing today. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Oak tree hole rot #4  
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif same answer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I wonder what one of the younger TBN'rs will suggest. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Oak tree hole rot #5  
I would suggest the same thing, but at 47 I am not sure if I am one of the younger TBN'rs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oak tree hole rot #6  
I'm not one of the younger either, but filling the hole will do no good, and may just make the matter worse. (Ask an arborist, and see if you get the same answer). The hole is likely due to rot (decay) to begin with, unless someone has bored out the hole with a tool. Probably a limb died and the decay entered the tree through the broken limb, rotting it out and making the hole.

Finding a way to keep the hole dry would be the best bet to keep it from decaying further. Possibly, the decay could be slowed a bit if borax was added to the water in the hole. Borax will prevent decay, and possibly will wick down into the wood with the rain water and "preserve" or "prevent" further decay.

It may take a long time (years) for the tree to rot enough to have to remove it. If it were mine, I would try the borax (20 mule team) and try to prolong the time.

/ Oak tree hole rot #7  
JDGREEN4ME
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Well in my case you are a little younger. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I Havn't seen anyone use White Wash in years. Around this area all fruit trees were painted when I was a kid. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Oak tree hole rot #8  
About 25 years ago I had a mulberry tree with a hole in it and it was beginning to rot. I dug out most of the rot and then used a propane torch to burn the remainder and hopefully seal the wood. Then I filled it with concrete. Then I sealed it with pruning sealer. I lived at that place for five more years and the tree showed no signs of rot or other problems with that filled hole.

Bob

/ Oak tree hole rot #9  
Did you just like lavender spotted cars? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My grandparents had a huge mulberry tree. It was our favorite to play in. Until we got old enough to drive. Thanks for bringing back a memory almost forgotten.

/ Oak tree hole rot
Thanks guys for all the good advice.
I will drill out as much dead wood as I can, back fill with the borax and plug hole with mortar.
Somehow I get the feeling that oak tree will be here a lot longer then me.