OEM Filters

/ OEM Filters #1  

PHPaul

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 with cab, Pasquali 986
Don't see a poll feature here, but curious:

How many folks insist on using OEM filters (oil, fuel, air, hydraulic, trans) on their tractors?

Not limited to a specific brand, but if you have a JD do you buy JD filters at the dealer, or if a Kubota at the Kubota dealer, etc.

I'm gonna let this thread sit here for a while before I post my opinion/practice.

Please don't turn this into a free-for-all. Just post your preference (dealer or after-market) and maybe a brief explanation of why.

/ OEM Filters #2  
I have a Kioti, so not everything is available aftermarket but I have no problem with getting filters from NAPA if they have them. A lot more convenient than the dealer, and comparable if not better quality.

/ OEM Filters #3  
while under warranty , I usually buy oem filters. after warranty I buy after market.

/ OEM Filters #4  
Seeing as I bought both of my tractors new and that I'm not particularly mechanically 'gifted', I've gone with OEM.

Mind you, part of that is out of ignorance as, this past summer (haying season), I needed a fuel filter quick-smart... a 5hr round trip to my dealership got the part. A while after that crisis I inquired at my town's auto supply shop if they had the same filter (Yanmar engine) and they did, under a different stocknumber.

/ OEM Filters #5  
Napa gold filters on everything :thumbsup:and I run the snot out of my stuff!

/ OEM Filters #6  
Not all filters that physically fit are necessarily in compliance with the maker's spec. This was probably more important in the past when oil pump designs were possibly less robust and uniform. I use aftermarket or OEM, what ever is convenient so long as the aftermarket not only fits, but is from a reputable maker who specifies that particular filter as meeting my application. NAPA does not make filters, but they do get them from a top maker, WIX and WIX does provide very specific application data, and NAPA evidently adheres to that too. So here is a gold nugget for Ya, visit this site and go through the flow chart with your tractor, or car, or truck, or mower, or ATV, or whatever and see for yourself:

WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home

prs

/ OEM Filters #7  
Our JD dealer seems to have a filter sale on occasion so I always paid the big bucks. Then a buddy started his own little muffler/ lube shop. He buys mostly jobber stuff that has the same rating as OEM.
Last week I asked him to order an oil filter for my JD4300 so he looked it up, went to his shelf and gave me one. Seems it is a very common automotive filter and his cost is 87 cents Canadian....

/ OEM Filters #8  
Always used Wix or Phram 32 years no problems. There is no such thing as a Ford or NH oil filter anyway. They just repaint them and jack up the price. As far as air, fuel, and hydraulic- they are cleanable and reusable but I did get a new fuel filter from NH a couple a years back because I needed the bowl and petcock and the filter came with it. $60. Will likely get a new air filter soon. They're on Ebay pretty reasonable.

/ OEM Filters #9  
I use Pure One oil filters on my Nissan SUV and Chevy truck, and a Fram air filter on my truck..the SUV air filter is OEM. Many of the JD tractors use the same cartridge type oil filter and those come from JD when they have a filter sale.

One thing I'd like to mention about aftermarket air filters is the flat rectangular ones seem to be poor fitting and leak. I've seen many vehicles in my friend's garage that have the UOA come back showing dirt in the oil and a quick check of the intake shows a film of dust. When comparing the OEM to the aftermarket filters the OEM have a softer rubber seal and sometimes it's also just a smidgen thicker. Just something to think about...

/ OEM Filters #10  
Not all filters that physically fit are necessarily in compliance with the maker's spec. This was probably more important in the past when oil pump designs were possibly less robust and uniform. I use aftermarket or OEM, what ever is convenient so long as the aftermarket not only fits, but is from a reputable maker who specifies that particular filter as meeting my application. NAPA does not make filters, but they do get them from a top maker, WIX and WIX does provide very specific application data, and NAPA evidently adheres to that too. So here is a gold nugget for Ya, visit this site and go through the flow chart with your tractor, or car, or truck, or mower, or ATV, or whatever and see for yourself:

WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home

prs

That's pretty much what I've settled on. If I were to buy a new machine again, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy OEM filters just to avoid any argument in case of a warranty claim, but other than that I tend to stick with Wix or the NAPA version, assuming it fits and meets specs. I tend to change oil/filters early anyway, so I'm not trying to save $2 on a cheaper filter in the first place.