Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #21  
But I thought the stuff that went in the reefer units was dyed red, because no tax is paid on it?
the tax is held off of it when you pay for the fuel. it is the same fuel that you put in the truck.fuel sold as off road fuel is dyed red.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #22  
John,
There is quite a bit of farm land up that way, but,
***most of those farms have their own tank that gets filled on delivery.
*** Any chance that you could buy your fuel from a farmer or leave your container there to be filled when they deliver to the farm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My cousin lives in a small subdivision in the Youngstown , Oh. area .
One of his neighbors has home delivery but my cousin don't use enough to qualifly for home delivery so he takes a 55 gallon drum and has his neighbor fill it up as needed.

Last edited:
   / Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #23  
Wow $0.90/gallon cheaper! Around here it seems to be $0.30- $.40/cheaper per gallon.

And around here in SC (nope cant help you on the Pa question just reading) regular gas stations do sell off road deisel, if they have a market for it. The two places i get it are in small towns but bigger than the one i live in which has nothing, literally nothing. These stations sell it to landscapers with deisel mowers road mowing crews for the city farmers, tractor owners and loggers.

We are in an area where logging is huge, find where those guys buy theres as they tend to buy a couple hundred gallons of it every other day, not all get it delivered. There is usually a station in every farming town or logging town where the guys fill up there transfer tanks or their fuel trailers.

But unlike Lbrown said i go to the regular gas station and buy offroad from the pump. In Greenwood, SC there is a regular BP which sells offraod from a pump right next to Onroad. We must be different here in the south than other areas.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #25  
None of the truck stops around here have off road because it's illegal to use it in the trucks.
None of the gas stations sell it either because it's not legal to use it in cars.

My money is that is speculation on your part. No law saying that every gas station can't carry it. Just that it is for off road vehicles.

Truck stops and gas stations around here carry it with the same laws. Seems more like a supply and demand issue in your neck of the woods. There is no demand at the pump, so they don't carry it.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #26  
Whats the difference from 500ppm off road and home heating oil? Cetane? Can we use home heating oil in our equipment? A local fuel supplier has 500ppm off road for $2.59 and home oil for $2.29????? Whats the diff?

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #27  
should be the same, but i think the home heating oil is possible to be cut with kerosine so that it will not gel in abouve ground exterior tanks in the winter. Both will burn but i would buy off road for no more than you probly use.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #28  
Yeah I only burn about 100 gals a year, I get a 55gal drum filled for at home. Ive always just got Offroad guess ill stick with it.

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #29  
what does everyone use as a drum for storage?
I am worried about contamination.
I know you should use a poly drum, but what about carry over from what was in it?

/ Off Road Diesel -- where to buy in Central PA #30  
I use a metal drum that was new and had tranny oil in it. I used all the fluid and filled up with diesel now its super red dyed:D