off road diesel

/ off road diesel #1  

DanielAlexander

Bronze Member
Tractor
GC2310 TLB
What does high sulfer content mean , the sign on my local off road diesel pump displayed it? I would rather pay the tax than get a lower quality fuel.

/ off road diesel #2  
DanielAlexander said:
What does high sulfer content mean , the sign on my local off road diesel pump displayed it? I would rather pay the tax than get a lower quality fuel.

You have to change your oil more frequently with higher sulfur fuel.
Bob

/ off road diesel #3  
you don't NEED to change it more frequently, Some choose to.

I have been running machines for years with off road diesel.
Just about every Logger,skidder operator,tractor buff, off road worker I know, some highway, some not use off road diesel.

Change your oil at the Given interval or if youve been using your machine abusively change a little earlier. Don't sweat the off road diesel. Its mainly just a dye thing a lil sulfur won't hurt, diesel fuel is getting cleaner by the year. 10 years ago regular diesel had just as much sulfur,I ASSUME.............

/ off road diesel #4  
DanielAlexander said:
Welcome to TBN Daniel. You might want to try a Search in this forum. This topic has been discussed quite a bit in the recent past.

/ off road diesel #5  
Doc_Bob said:
You have to change your oil more frequently with higher sulfur fuel.
Bob

Thts what it says in my Kubota owners manual....that above (? some number??) PPM oil needs to be changed more often.

/ off road diesel #6  
Higher sulfer diesel is fixing to become a problem in 2007 with the introduction of Low Sulfer truck engines, and EPA requirements. A lot of 2006 trucks were sold to keep from buying the new engines, and dealing with the lack of fuel available for the new engines.
I am pretty sure you will get your wish soon, higher priced low sulfer fuels, as you should be able to pick it up at most any major truck stop.
David from jax

/ off road diesel #7  
Don't expect to get the fuel milage from the low sulpher fuel that you were getting before, so that will add more to the "cost".
David from jax

/ off road diesel #8  
Sully2 said:
Thts what it says in my Kubota owners manual....that above (? some number??) PPM oil needs to be changed more often.

I just change more oil frequently. Easy, relatively cheap (2 gallons) and satisfying to do.

Now, if I had a big rig, the cost and time lost might get annoying.
Bob

/ off road diesel #9  
Now I am no expert but I am pretty sure todays high sulfur is the low sulfur of a few years ago. The EPA has been lowering the alowable sulfur in fuel for a while (at least 10 years). A lot of 2006 model year engines are/were being sold because the emissions standards were raised and it costs a bunch more to build an engine to meet those standards.

/ off road diesel #10  
Doc_Bob said:
I just change more oil frequently. Easy, relatively cheap (2 gallons) and satisfying to do.

Now, if I had a big rig, the cost and time lost might get annoying.
Bob

As will I Bob. Mine needs..??..4.3 qts..to fill..and with my low hrs usage..Im not going to let oil sit in the crankcase for 2-3 YEARS..I mean GEEZE!!!