Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"...

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"...
I had to buy a torque multiplier to correctly torque them back on to 600ft lbs.

I'm not an expert but it looks like yours is more of an adapter (I'm guessing that allows for size change of input/output socket size?

It seems to be missing the brace that I'd expect to see in a torque 'multiplier'.

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"... #12  
The head (if I interpret your question correctly) is maybe 2 1/2" wide verses the bolt being maybe 1".... much smaller target. I DID initially start cutting on the head (of the bolt) but after so much grinding and so little progress, decided to cut the bolt instead.

Well, were it 'just' that simple....

I had a pipe wrench on it. Pipe wrench (with a 5' cheater bar) was about 18" in length ....the pipe wrench bent and then snapped in half.

I had a 1/2" impact on it (using 1 11/16 socket) and it was just being laughed at. I did about a full can over a month of PB blaster and... I forget name of other stuff... anyway, another can of other penetrating oil. I had my MAP gas on it trying to heat it. (I don't have anything hotter)

Laughed at

I borrowed my brother in laws 1" impact

Laughed at

Finally after spending maybe 3-4 hours on the SINGLE bolt (some of them DID come loose by the way with the 1/2" impact)

Anyway after spending quite a bit of time and just exhausting myself on it..... the nut rounded off so, I politely said "the heck with it, I'll cut the darn thing off" (<<--highly cleaned up for public consumption)

In hindsight, I wish that the couple that fought back at me would have just been cut immediately. Would have saved me SEVERAL hours of just shear persistence.....

But, persistence is what finally got them off!
I appreciate the "highly cleaned up" for the rest of us because I know what I would have been saying!!
David from jax

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"... #13  
Dumb question... are you sure that they aren’t left hand threads?
You’re making me nervous. I need to change the blades and cracked stump jumper on the mower my father gave me. It’s a 5’ IH which he bought when I was in HS, and I’m not sure that they’ve ever been changed.
I graduated in 1977.

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"... #14  
Just wondering, are you guys that are using heat, heating the bolt, or the nut? I would think heating the nut and cooling the bolt would work a lot better!
David from jax

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"... #15  
David, I just turn the dish until I can see the nut through the top of the mower and just turn the nut bright red and then lay to it with the impact, it’s rare that I have to go ahead and just blow the nut off

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"...
I only had/have MAP gas. Though it was certainly hot, it wasn't red nor pink ...heck, it wasn't even chartreuse (whatever that may be!)

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"... #17  
I'm not an expert but it looks like yours is more of an adapter (I'm guessing that allows for size change of input/output socket size?

It seems to be missing the brace that I'd expect to see in a torque 'multiplier'.

Sorry, My mistake. You are correct, it is not a torque multiplier but is a torque meter or adapter. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 250 ft lbs so I needed something to measure up to 600 ft lbs and this filled the need economically.

/ Off the wall comment on stump jumper -vs- "Bowtie"... #18  
I only had/have MAP gas. Though it was certainly hot, it wasn't red nor pink ...heck, it wasn't even chartreuse (whatever that may be!)
In reality, getting it hot with map gas should be enough to expand the nut away from the bolt, which will loosen the threads. If you want to increase it's performance, add an ice cube to the opposite end of the bolt!
David from jax