Oh no! Failed valve stem

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
My better judgement told me not to do it and of course that was ignored...
The right rear loaded tire has been leaking from the valve core nslowly for months and today I decided the pull the core and fix it.
I first jacked up the tire to unweight it before core removal with the stem at 12 noon
A little niggling thought crept in that if the core was broken, I might not be able to replace it once it was partially removed. :eek:
And so it was the case. The very top piece of the core that actually threads into the stem was broken off from the rest and so air and ballast were spraying out.
I quickly replaced the valve cap to slow things down while I considered my options.
I noticed the valve stem is 2 piece to allow fluid to be loaded so I removed that piece which would expose the rest of the broken core and hopefully I would be able to get it all out .
However, the second I pulled that piece off, a solid stream of of ballast continued to shoot out.
In a panic I managed to replace that piece after losing at least a gallon of ballast but still have not fixed it.
It also appears to be leaking where the stem emerges from the rim so I am stymied as far as personally being able to repair this.
Monday I will call the dealer who has a mobile repair unit and arrange for that.
I can't figure out why the fluid continued to stream out with the tire positioned the way I had it. And I did not want to let it run out till it stopped.

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem #2  
I can't figure out why the fluid continued to stream out with the tire positioned the way I had it. And I did not want to let it run out till it stopped.
Tire was overfilled past the stem or you did not lift it high enough to let the level drop below the stem.

If you have a leak at the stem to rim seal, probably best to let the mobile tire service handle it.

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem
Tire was overfilled past the stem or you did not lift it high enough to let the level drop below the stem.

If you have a leak at the stem to rim seal, probably best to let the mobile tire service handle it.
The tire was 2 inches off the ground and Monday I call the mobile$$$

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem #4  
The tire was 2 inches off the ground and Monday I call the mobile$$$
I see.. Careful lifting it comletely off the ground while loaded though as it could break the bead off the rim and then you'd have a real mess :) Doesn't always happen but could.

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem #5  
I see.. Careful lifting it comletely off the ground while loaded though as it could break the bead off the rim and then you'd have a real mess :) Doesn't always happen but could.
Amazing the things you learn here. Makes sense but I would never think of that.

That's a bummer fruitcakesa

gg

My friend, who is s heavy equipment mechanic and operator, thinks there is a tube in the tire.
It is secured at the stem by a plastic ring. A tubeless stem would have a brass fitting securing it.
He also says it was overfilled and that the bubbling around the valve hole may just be air squeezing out from between the tube and the tire. Sounds plausible to me and it might allow me to fix it in place.
I will drain the rest of the fluid and see what I have.

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem #7  
On frosty winter mornings, you might have them where you are :), I can see the fill level. There is a strong horizontal frost line across the tire at the bottom of the rim.

Who is the dealer with the mobile unit down there ??

gg

On frosty winter mornings, you might have them where you are :), I can see the fill level. There is a strong horizontal frost line across the tire at the bottom of the rim.

Who is the dealer with the mobile unit down there ??

gg
I believe Town Line in Plainfield NH does.

/ Oh no! Failed valve stem #9  
I have the exact problem when checking Air pressure. These tires have been filled in 2004, I have checked air pressure many times, no weight on tires, 12 o'clock position, etc.
Earlier this year I removed the stems and calcium pushed out, probably a few gallons. I drained an additional gallon and installed new stems.
No one can explain why this happened, some quess that the tube has shifted and there is a void between the tube and tire. I don't think this is possible.
This spring I am planning on breaking the tires down and replacing tubes and refilling with rimguard. I may find the answer to what has happened then.

Ok folks, all is well.
I drained the excess fluid out, unthreaded the outer stem piece, pushed out the broken core, inserted the new core and put it back on the tire stem.
Aired the tire up to 13 lbs and waited to see if it held air.. and it does:)
As I was adding air, more bubbles pushed out from between the stem and rim but that seemed to stop once the tire was fully aired.
I will see how it holds overnight before giving it a 100% blessing.