Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what?

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #11  
So about 2-3 weeks ago, we had a huge snowstorm. After 2 days of being snowed in, I decided to try and clear my 300' driveway with my BX. Unfortunately, I could not get it to run for more than about 2-3 seconds. I figured that it was due to fuel gelling up or something. A week later, temperatures warmed up and I was able to start it and clear the driveway. Not wanting to have the fuel gel up again, I added some anti-gelling additive. We are expecting another snowstorm tonight/tomorrow so I just went out to move the tractor into the driveway in preparation. While I was moving it, I smelled diesel, so I looked at the fuel filler and noticed NO CAP! Oh No! I put the additive in over a week ago and we've already had 2-4" of snow between when I put in the additive and today. No doubt, some snow has found it's way into the filler opening. What do I do now? The tractor seems to run fine at the moment. Of course tomorrow evening after the storm, temperature is supposed to drop to -4*. Any suggestions? Just leave it and hope any moisture eventually works it's way out of the system?
If it were mine, I would remove the fuel line where it enters the fuel filter and drain the tank dry. Then refill with fresh fuel. Use the old fuel for brush burning.

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what?
Like I said, 2 fuel filters but no water filter. Tank has about 4 gallons of fuel, no drain, and weird shaped tank, not even sure I can snake a suction drain into it to capture everything. I think I'm just going to have to install my own water separator when weather gets better. Right now, tractor is outside, temperature is falling, it'll be dark shortly, and snow is coming this evening. Both filters were just replaced about 10 hours ago so I guess I'm going to have to purchase another pair of filters. Expecting another 3-6". But last time it said 3-6", I had over a foot on the ground in my driveway due to drift.

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #13  
Like I said, 2 fuel filters but no water filter. Tank has about 4 gallons of fuel, no drain, and weird shaped tank, not even sure I can snake a suction drain into it to capture everything. I think I'm just going to have to install my own water separator when weather gets better. Right now, tractor is outside, temperature is falling, it'll be dark shortly, and snow is coming this evening. Both filters were just replaced about 10 hours ago so I guess I'm going to have to purchase another pair of filters. Expecting another 3-6". But last time it said 3-6", I had over a foot on the ground in my driveway due to drift.
Can’t you disconnect the fuel line where it enters the filter and drain it into a container? It should be gravity flow.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #14  
The Lucas bottle says it contains water dispersants . Put a little water in a small container then add Lucas a few drops at a time to see if there is any value to their claim . It may change to a milk color similar to soluble oil that mixes freely with water .

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #15  
I drove 200 miles in a driving snowstorm once in my diesel pickup after not putting the fuel cap on after stopping to refuel. The truck has a flatbed with the fill nozzle pointed forward so as to catch snow. I noticed it when I got home and felt like an idiot. I put the cap back on, refilled the tank, added a bottle of Heet and went about my business with no further problems.

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #16  
I drove 200 miles in a driving snowstorm once in my diesel pickup after not putting the fuel cap on after stopping to refuel. The truck has a flatbed with the fill nozzle pointed forward so as to catch snow. I noticed it when I got home and felt like an idiot. I put the cap back on, refilled the tank, added a bottle of Heet and went about my business with no further problems.
Yes, but a tractor fill tank is facing straight up.

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #17  
Did the anti-gel have a water dryer in it? Drain the fuel by the hole in the bottom of the tank. Drain the water separator. Refill it. Get some fuel dryer and add it to the tank. Also get a couple of new fuel filters in case you need them. If it runs all is good. If it acts up replace the fuel filters as water will mess them up. Even if they "look good" replace them.
No point in doing any of that until/unless he gets a problem. He has already replaced the filters. Already put in some anti-gel additive. Most if not ALL anti-gel additives are also driers in that they contain some alcohol. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #18  
One of those filters serves as a water separator. You already replaced them. Sleep well and forget it.

The fuel tank on those things (including my own) is a contorted shape of polypropylene snaked into the sheet metal and not for humans to mess with.

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #19  
Can’t you disconnect the fuel line where it enters the filter and drain it into a container? It should be gravity flow.
Not a bad precaution but he probably has no need to do so.

/ Oh No, forgot to replace fuel cap. Now what? #20  
2 to 4 inches of snowfall falling into a 3" diameter pipe sticking straight up isn't going to amount to a lot of water. I understand your concern, but I don't think it is a serious problem. Even if a fuel dryer additive doesn't remove it all you probably don't pick your fuel up from the lowest spot in the tank, and if you did, you most likely have a water trap in your fuel handling system.