OH NO! That didn't just happen.

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #1  

High Compression

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60
That is what went through my head day before yesterday. I was plowing a private drive for a small community of 6 houses. This drive is like a goat trail. Kinda steep and narrow on a hillside that winds down into a little valley. Anyway, I was almost done, making one final pass back down the hill to get paid. My 9' blade started to catch and so I pulled back on the FEL control when it gave way and I had nothin! All the sudden my control just flopped back and forth like a wet noodle. Side to side control for the bucket cylinders was fine, but I couldn't lift the loader.

Here I was in a little panic. Knowing I couldn't get anything down to the tractor. I started to investigate, hoping for a simple solution. Removing the upper console where the FEL control comes through revealed everything normal there. So I called my dealer looking for maybe a quick fix. We came up short again. So I switched my loader and bucket hydro lines so I could at least pick the blade up off the ground. Went and apologized to my customer and told them I would be back to finish the last pass a.s.a.p.

Got back to the shop, pulled the access plate off the inner fender behind the right rear tire. Shined my flashlight in there and moved the joystick back in forth. Sh*t, that's not getting fixed tonight. Ended up that the cable that is controlled by the joystick runs down and is attached to a pivot arm that actuates the spool in the valve body. Well that arm snapped off at the weld.

Now for the good news. I got up the next morning and had my L5740 at the dealer at 08:00 when they opened. I went in and talked to Phil, the service manager. Showed him the problem. He began to recall a similar incident with another L. He looked it up and they definitely had ordered the part once before. He also noticed that the part number changed, meaning probably an upgrade. Matt in the parts department scoured the area within driving distance to see if any other dealer had the part, no luck. The best they could do is have it next day aired in.

The owner Daren McConnell, looked at the new tractor inventory and the serial numbers. They found one of their brand new L5240 sitting on the lot was new enough to have the upgraded part. They immediately cleared shop space to get mine and the L5240 into the shop. John tore down the 5240 and robbed the part off it installing the new upgraded part on mine! The new part was almost twice as thick. :cool2: Oh, BTW done by 10:00. Two hrs later and I was back up and running to take care of my customers.

Thank you to McConnell Machinery in Lawrence Kansas. I guy couldn't ask for a better dealer, better service or better equipment. Thanks again to Daren, Phil, Matt, and John and all the rest of the great staff. You guys are Awesome! :thumbsup:

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #2  
Great story and dealer. At my local dealer, the counter man/woman must be playing computer games as they can't even take the time to look up to acknowledge they have a customer. 'Oh great, make my day, customers'!! :thumbdown:
Dennis

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #3  
HC, man that is a great dealer! That is so nice to hear that they got you up and running in such a short time.

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #4  
That is the kind of dealer you want to spend your money with , no matter what brand . When you do snow removal for paying costomers , downtime is not very soothing .

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #5  
Glad it ended well for you.......plowing on hills with hydraulic issues always seemed like a panic-causing issue to me. don-ohio :)^)

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen.
So true guys! I'm very lucky to have them. Crazy thing is, there are four dealers in KC, but McConnell is the best!

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #7  
Nice to hear of a dealer taking care of his customers that depend on their tractor for business. It use to be that way when I lived in farming country.

MarkV

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #8  
You have a great dealer. Glad to hear they took care of you.

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #9  
My "new" dealer is like that and that's why I changed. Dealers like this are really hard to find these days. Glad everything work out for you! Kudos to McConnell Machinery in Lawrence Kansas.

/ OH NO! That didn't just happen. #10  
I don't know how your 3pt lever is set up on the cab models but on the open station GLs it has a weld that's not as strong as it should be. I broke mine because I was quickly raising and lowering the 3pt to shake the last bit of sand free from the sides of my sander. I remember reading about someone who had a new tractor that also had it break. Once I removed the lever I could see that there were just two small welds and some thin metal. After a few minutes with the welder it's not going to break now.