OIL BATH FILTER Conversion.....

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
Has anyone converted their old oil bath air filter to a more modern replaceable cartridge type air filter?

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #2  
No, but I want to.

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #4  
Wondering why you would rather have the non oil bath type?

Me too, a pretty normal Donaldson cartridge is over $30 for the outer. The inner is more. A qt. of oil is what $3? I've never had an old oil type but it seems to make sence unless there is something I don't understand about them.

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #5  
Leave the oil bath alone. They are proven , have stood the test of time.

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion.....
Wondering why you would rather have the non oil bath type?

The 2 hours that it takes to properly clean the oil bath is why! It would be much quicker to take an air hose and blow a cartridge filter out on a monthly basis and then change it annually. I think I am going to try to adapt something a little more user friendly.

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #7  
If you use too much air pressure you can put holes in a paper element.

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #8  
The 2 hours that it takes to properly clean the oil bath is why! It would be much quicker to take an air hose and blow a cartridge filter out on a monthly basis and then change it annually. I think I am going to try to adapt something a little more user friendly.

And that could cost you BIGTIME, unless you want to dust your engine out?!

What is two hours? Do it when you do the oil change and maintenance.

/ OIL BATH FILTER Conversion..... #10  
I had an oil bath on my ford 1700when i cleaned it I siply dumped the oil out and used a few rags to wipe it clean and then refilled with oil and put back in.It was simple. maybe because it was a small tractor ? Not sure.Im sure it all depends on how much dust gets around the filters. I now have a tractor with a non oil bath. and i have yet to replace it with a new one. I usually just clean it out and knock it clean. its going on 25 years now.BUT I dont get alot of dust action .like haying etc..