Oil Burning Stove

/ Oil Burning Stove #1  

pajoube

Veteran Member
Tractor
Former Owner PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)
Unable to find any threads on what is a good oil burning stove for home heating? I live in area that does not have natural gas.
Currently I am using ToyoStove Lazer 73 which has been working great until a week ago. If I have to replace it I need to know what is available to research.
PJ

/ Oil Burning Stove #2  
How much do you have to heat ? As a primary fuel, oil is very expensive. As a backup to a wood stove, for when you might be away for a few days, it would be fine.

There is Kuma stoves Kuma Stoves - Oil Stoves :: Free Standing Stoves

I am assuming you want an oil fired natural draft stove that is capable of running without any electrical power ?

There are only a handful of companies in the world that make the special oil burners for natural draft stoves and then people build stoves around them.

I will be running my water heater and back up heat source off diesel fuel. Primary heat will be solar, with a wood stove to supplement. If I need to be away, it will be up to passive solar with the diesel fired backup. Only electric source is PV + battery and inverter.

/ Oil Burning Stove
Thanks for the info - yes, the stove is a back up for very cold weather. It is in the basement and uses convection flow to the upstairs area. As far as running without electrical power, no as I have whole house back up system.
PJ

/ Oil Burning Stove #4  
With the Kuma you don't need power. When one needs heat in winter with no power, the first part is enough of a problem without adding the second part. If you have the heat part covered with wood, then you should be good. Another option (depending on how much heat is needed) is the pioneer series of heaters. Tent Heaters

Trekkerjpeg.JPG
The smallest unit has a similar heat output to a pellet stove and I know that is enough to heat my entire 1300sqft home at a consumption rate of 0.12 gal/hr. Assuming running it at 75% 24/7 that comes to 64.8 gal of diesel/month = $260/month. But in truth it would take a highly unusual circumstance for that to happen (like being ill or injured)...

These are very basic units, quite affordable. They still use vaporizing burners, so are still highly efficient. These are not to be compared to the old military tent heaters that are fuel hogs.