Oil change question

/ Oil change question #1  

stumpfield

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MT265B
I have a small dozer (4 cylinder diesel engine) that has been in the repair shop and storage for the past 2 years. It has about 2 hours since the last oil change about 2 years ago. The oil looks good and it runs fine. Should I change the oil and filter before I start using it for a dirt moving project? How do you deal with oil change for those only use their tractor occasionally may 10 to 20 hours a year? How often should you change the oil? Strictly by the hour of use according to the manual or by time? thanks.

/ Oil change question #2  
Just an opinion but I'd change it every year even if the use was low. Cheap enough insurance and moisture can build up. + additives/detergeants reak down over time and acids can build up, why take a chance?

/ Oil change question #3  
Go work it. Given that you'd be disposing virtually new oil and I suppose the capacity is a couple gallons? It doesn't have exposure to enough dirt or acids or anything to worry about. Those pollutants come from combustion, which it has not had.

/ Oil change question #4  
:cool:I would say run it, it"s not like its been in an open container to catch dust and dirt. If you feel uncomfortable after a few hours then change it. If it has a oil pressure gauge watch it. I think it should be fine as it is. If it makes you feel more comfortable crack the drain plug a little and any water inside should drain out first. If no water go for it. zman

/ Oil change question
Thanks for replies. Does it make any sense to just change the oil but not the filter? Since it has not been running much, there shouldn't be much dirt or pollutants in the oil. The oil filter is hard to find and expensive. The oil is cheap and easier to just drain the oil and refill with new oil.

/ Oil change question #6  
No, it doesn't make any sense.

The service cycle on that machine is likely 200-300 hours.:(:( A couple of hours of use? It's fine. Dozers sit idle for long periods of time, on and off job sites, rusting in fields, on leasing companies back lots, etc. It is the nature of their lives. But, if you cannot sleep at night until you change it, by all means, have at it.

/ Oil change question #7  
Thanks for replies. Does it make any sense to just change the oil but not the filter? Since it has not been running much, there shouldn't be much dirt or pollutants in the oil. The oil filter is hard to find and expensive. The oil is cheap and easier to just drain the oil and refill with new oil.
Run the snot out of it...once it get warmed up and a few hours of use on her, all (if any) crap that has been sitting in the engines crevises and galleys will work themselves out and into suspension...when you get finished with the project, change the oil AND filter.

/ Oil change question #8  
I have a small dozer (4 cylinder diesel engine) that has been in the repair shop and storage for the past 2 years. It has about 2 hours since the last oil change about 2 years ago. The oil looks good and it runs fine. Should I change the oil and filter before I start using it for a dirt moving project? How do you deal with oil change for those only use their tractor occasionally may 10 to 20 hours a year? How often should you change the oil? Strictly by the hour of use according to the manual or by time? thanks.

On low use machines I go once a year. Cheap insurance. Changing just the oil and not the filter is not a good move. Hunt out the filters on Ebay and buy 1/2 dozen. I did this with my Powerstroke filters. Got them for $6 each vs $20 at the parts stores.

Chris

/ Oil change question #9  
I also do once a year.. even if hours for service are not reached. that gets out any acids, soot and water in the oil that I don't want in the engine.

50$ oil or 2500$ diesel engine rebuild.. Hmmmmmm

soundguy