Oil Consumption?

/ Oil Consumption? #1  

Indian MC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
A hair short of 1/2 Qt of oil in 30 hours in a new 2601. Is this good or bad?

/ Oil Consumption? #2  
While any oil consumption troubles me, others will say during break in, it may use a little. I would change the oil at 50 hours and check with a consistent method for a period of time (like after use, let it idle for 5 min to cool down and wait 5 min after turning off to check, then record). I have never had a Kubota use oil but have a new Bobcat CTL that at the 50 hour point is about 1.5 qts low, Bobcat tells me that is acceptable.

/ Oil Consumption? #3  
Neither of my tractors (2009 Kubota B26 and 2010 LS P7010) use any oil between changes. However on old iron tractors from 60s-70s it was acceptable for a large farm tractor to use a quart or 2 per day under heavy loads. Engines have become much more reliable since then. During break in period, an engine might use a bit of oil before the rings seat well.

I would keep an eye on it and record the usage but don't be surprised if the manufacturer tells you that a couple of quarts (or more) is acceptable usage between changes. I have heard the same thing about some car engines and the manufacturer's replies.

/ Oil Consumption? #4  
My two cents. Did you verify that the oil level was at top level when del'd? If have found that the volume shown on the dipstick will show a bit low unless I double dip it as air builds up in the dipstick tube.

/ Oil Consumption?
My two cents. Did you verify that the oil level was at top level when del'd? If have found that the volume shown on the dipstick will show a bit low unless I double dip it as air builds up in the dipstick tube.

I did check it upon delivery. It was right on the money. I have noticed I get a small puff of smoke out of the exhaust pipe during a cold start. Now that it's been getting colder, that puff of smoke out of the pipe seems to have increased a little bit. Especially after she's sit for several days.
My 4x4 Tacoma Pick up uses about a half a quart every 3k miles before changing. But, she has 70k on her and is eleven years old.

/ Oil Consumption? #6  
The puff at startup is most likely fuel and is normal, is the smoke black? The colder the more you'll see.

As for oil consumption, every manufacture has an acceptable oil consumption spec, I don't know what Kubota's is but I can say my 2620, which has the same engine as your 2601, doesn't have a noticeable drop on the dipstick.
Just make sure the dipstick is seated fully, mine liked to hang on one of the rubber ridges molded into the top and hold the stick up about 1/4in when it was new, also it doesn't take much to show low if the ground isn't level.

/ Oil Consumption? #7  
The puff at startup is most likely fuel and is normal, is the smoke black? The colder the more you'll see.

As for oil consumption, every manufacture has an acceptable oil consumption spec, I don't know what Kubota's is but I can say my 2620, which has the same engine as your 2601, doesn't have a noticeable drop on the dipstick.
Just make sure the dipstick is seated fully, mine liked to hang on one of the rubber ridges molded into the top and hold the stick up about 1/4in when it was new, also it doesn't take much to show low if the ground isn't level.

Yep, what he said.. ..Using the glow plugs properly also reduces this puff of smoke. Read your manual on using the glow plugs. The smoke is produced by, as TMGT mentioned, the fuel being not burned efficiently due to a cold cylinder.