Oil drain plug TX1510

/ Oil drain plug TX1510 #1  

ballaterach

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TX1510
Should there be a washer of some kind on the Oil drain plug folks? Seems to be slightly leaking but maybe just not tight enough....

/ Oil drain plug TX1510 #2  
Yes. These should be some type of washer. It may be a compression, rubber-metal or plastic washer. The only equipment I have ever seen without a washer on the drain plug was on push mower or small lawn mower. The plug look like these and could not accept a washer. Since you have a leak you know something is not correct.

Do not overtighten the plug you may strip it. When oil gets hot it will thin. Thin oil will follow the threads on the drain plug and have a slow leak; maybe just a drop about to fall.

1646712006126.png

/ Oil drain plug TX1510 #4  
for my tx1500 i just took the plug (or what was left of it) to a local tractor shop, and they had a new replacement just lying around. Maybe try this?

And yes the plug had some rubber washer on it.

/ Oil drain plug TX1510 #5  
A oil pan with stripped threads is a real problem so i wouldn't tighten a plug with excessive force to attempt stopping a leak . If we read the torque specs we are usually surprised how little torque they require . Some as little as 15# . Oil pans that are thin and aren't cast will usually have a plug with a gasket . It's common for those with a gasket to have a small threaded steel plate spot welded to the interior of the pan and if those threads are stripped the pan will usually need to be removed and repaired .

/ Oil drain plug TX1510
for my tx1500 i just took the plug (or what was left of it) to a local tractor shop, and they had a new replacement just lying around. Maybe try this?

Many thanks I suspected there must have been a washer previously; just need to ascertain the correct size

/ Oil drain plug TX1510 #7  
Many thanks I suspected there must have been a washer previously; just need to ascertain the correct size
If you do not have a repair manual, when you change the oil you can take measure the plug (or take it with you) to an auto parts store. They often have drain plug assortments. I had a plastic wash leak; upon inspection I found it was cracked. I took the plug to a JD dealer (the drain plug was substantially larger than what the local auto parts store had on hand) and purchased a compression drain plug washer that works perfect.

/ Oil drain plug TX1510

Many thanks for your reply and help!!

/ Oil drain plug TX1510
A oil pan with stripped threads is a real problem so i wouldn't tighten a plug with excessive force to attempt stopping a leak . If we read the torque specs we are usually surprised how little torque they require . Some as little as 15# . Oil pans that are thin and aren't cast will usually have a plug with a gasket . It's common for those with a gasket to have a small threaded steel plate spot welded to the interior of the pan and if those threads are stripped the pan will usually need to be removed and repaired .

/ Oil drain plug TX1510
If you do not have a repair manual, when you change the oil you can take measure the plug (or take it with you) to an auto parts store. They often have drain plug assortments. I had a plastic wash leak; upon inspection I found it was cracked. I took the plug to a JD dealer (the drain plug was substantially larger than what the local auto parts store had on hand) and purchased a compression drain plug washer that works perfect.