Oil filter internals...

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
I scored this really nice oil filter opener tool from eBay awhile back for $5. Now I have this sickness where I can't wait to cut open every used oil filter I twist off! Attached are a couple of pics of a WIX/Affinia off the Kohler Command 20hp from my 2544. This filter was in service for a year and around 40hrs with Shell Rotella-T 5w-40. The oil was hardly discolored, as was the filter media. These filters are really well made. I run a longer than stock filter:
Picture704.jpg

Picture706.jpg

Joel

pearlmanz

Tractor
CC GT2542
Joel, nice pictures, but a little confused. The filter cover says Car Quest??? I thought you said it was a Wix??

So the GT2542 and 44 use what weight oil and can you be specific on the filter you use and what it cost vs the filter the dealer will bill you for. Also, what does your dealer of CC say about running synthetic oil vs dino? I know I usually wait until the engine is broke in before synthetic oil, but would be curious of your feedback. By the way, my 14 year old Snapper only has a 41" deck with Ninja mulching blades and withe the extra inch for the GT2542, I will actually be picking up and inch so it should do great if it cuts as good as my old 41" Snapper with two mulching Ninja blades. Hope you has a great weekend, The PearlManZ

OP
JTKub

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
Carquest and Napa oil filters are Wix filters, made by Wix (now called Affinia). It's probably best to go by your CC literature for oil viscosity spec's + there typically is labeling on the Kohler engines recommending 10w-30. The 5w-40 I run is a synthetic oil. You could run syth on your first oil change if you wish. I like the longer filter for the increased oil holding capacity. This filter fits your ford/motorcraft FL400A applications.

Joel

pearlmanz

Tractor
CC GT2542
Thanks Joel, learn something new everyday. Running that filter will not hurt the warranty on my new tractor if I buy the 2542 would it.

I was also thinking my dealer strongly was against running synthetic oil. Wonder why? By the way, what syntho oil do you use.

Also Joel, have you had any problems with the switch on your seat shutting down the blades on your CC. I was just reading where some guys wanted to know how to disable the switch as mowing on some slopes would cause for movement in the seat and shut down their CC's. Any feedback there?

Thanks Joel, I enjoy your post's and have learned a lot. The PMZ

OP
JTKub

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
If your engine were to have a lubrication related warranty issue, and you brought it to CC's or Kohler's attention with an off spec oil filter installed on the engine, yes, it has the potential to void the warranty for that concern. IMO- some dealers shy away from synthetic oils for fear of the unknown. They know very little about oils/filters (don't have time to). I usually dont bother with synthetics since I see little benefit for my applications. I had some synthetic Shell Rotella-T 5w-40 on hand a year or two ago, which got me to try it in my 2544. It operates wonderfully on it. Being a synth, this oil has better cold flow property specs than a conventional 5w-30, so cold starts is a non-issue with this oil. It's supposed to handle heat really well too, and you will see your Kohler Command runs HOT. The bigger filter I run increases the oil holding capacity to 2 qts on my Command 20.

Joel