Oil & Fuel oil & filters

/ oil & filters #1  

Greg Jones

Just got by first tractor a 2003 TC40 wanting to know what would be the best oils to start using and buying filters from dealers or on line. Your thoughts

/ oil & filters #2  
The oils and lube forum has lots of good infos about oil. As for filters why not just support you local dealer. If you don't want CNH filters then I hear NAPA and WIX (think they're the same thing) are good alternatives. I think theres also a fair amt of good info about oil filters on the forum above too.

/ oil & filters #3  
I've used Rotella T 15W40 in my TC40D since it was new, about 1500 hr ago. As far as filters go, I've always used NH filters, but I'll probably start using others soon, except for the HST filter. I will stick with NH for that one. Since you said you bought a TC40, I'm assuming yours is the shuttle shift and not HST. So, you don't have to worry about that. Just change fluids and filters according to the schedule posted on the underside of your hood. You'll be good to go.

...and welcome to the forum.:)

/ oil & filters
Thanks for the help

Greg TC 40

/ oil & filters #6  
I've used Messicks for specific parts for my 33D and found the staff very knowledgable and helpful. The parts arrived just a few days after I ordered.

I do buy my filters at the local NAPA store and was surprised to find they even had the air filter.

/ oil & filters #8  
NAPA & WIX are made by DANA-SPICER. The last 4 base #'s are always the same ie:51515 or 1515. Napa uses 4 #'s Wix uses 5. I'm the Parts Mgr. for a large County Fleet Management Department. We have used both FRAM & WIX for years on all of our equipment.TC33D,TL100,8610,JD544G,Gradalls, etc...22 years and not a single problem. They meet or exceed mfrs. specifications. You would be surprised at all the OE part #'s that cross. Go to WIX.com And check it out for yourself. They give micron ratings, relief settings, bypass, etc...

/ oil & filters #9  
I just did the 300Hr service on My TC40D and could not find the proper bypass filter for the hydro anywhere but the dealer. I do get my engine oil filter at a local parts house though. If you don't have a New Holland dealer handy you can go to the Case dealer and ask for filters that fit a DX40. I used a Case dealer this time. Use good DIESEL engine oil. You can't go wrong with Rotella. Be sure to use the correct trans/hydraulic oil. Get the New Holland oil or its equivalent. It is NOT plain old hydraulic oil.

/ oil & filters #10  
If you want some interesting reading on the properties of different oil filters, go here
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

This guy cut apart and documented about 30 filters. (He must have had way to much time on his hands!)

Another part of the article is here http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

I found the details of what parts are in the filter quite interesting. While the study is biased toward a car, he has some interestig info on a WIX and Fram filters. No NH though.

Stuart