Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor?

/ Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor? #21  
I wont step over a dollar to pick up a dime. There is no place close enough for me to buy off-road diesel,
so a 4 mile trip into town to pay at the "taxed" pump, actually saves me alot of money vs a 40 mile trip both ways to only save a few pennies per gallon.

And i don`t burn enough diesel the whole year to make it worth running all over to find & save money buying it.
It would only make sense to me as if i had the option to buy off-road diesel at the place i buy mine at right now, 4 miles away from me.

Similar situation for me, in Oregon. I did learn that my local small fuel station will take the road tax off of diesel if I let them know. Oddly, there is a minimum amount to qualify. It’s only 4 or 5 gallons, so I’m always over. I typically buy 15-20 gallons at a time, so tax exempt saves me about $6 just by asking.

Comes out of same pump as on-road. They just record the gallons for off-road.

/ Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor? #22  
My fuel delivery driver told me that highway diesel, off road diesel and home heating oil all come from the same tank. The only difference is the red dye is added to he off road. I'm in Ohio but the truck comes out of Kentucky.

/ Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor? #23  
Here in England, in the country counties, Red Diesel,(duty free for agriculture and forestry use) is readily available. For my old tractor I always add a bit of Sthil two stroke oil as I think a lot of the lubricants have been taken out to reduce pollution, and my old tractor seems to run sweeter with it. Red Diesel is about half the price of road diesel from normal road stations. Years ago my old dad used heating oil in his tractor for years, that said, old diesel engines were less fussy than modern common rail engines. Kerosene, or as we know it, paraffin, has been also added for years to prevent freezing in winter, but modern fuel seem to have additives already added. To the best of my knowledge, gas turbine and jet fuel is paraffin (kerosene)

/ Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor? #24  
My fuel delivery driver told me that highway diesel, off road diesel and home heating oil all come from the same tank. The only difference is the red dye is added to he off road. I'm in Ohio but the truck comes out of Kentucky.

I'm in Northern Ohio and my fuel delivery driver told me the same as well.

/ Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor? #25  
Years ago a old Diesel Mechanic gave me some advise I have followed over the years. His advise was to add two ounces of Power service and five ounces of Marvel Mystery to each five gallons of diesel fuel. Never had a starting, gelling or dirty injector problem.

/ Oil & Fuel Home heating fuel in a tractor? #26  
Similar situation for me, in Oregon. I did learn that my local small fuel station will take the road tax off of diesel if I let them know. Oddly, there is a minimum amount to qualify. It’s only 4 or 5 gallons, so I’m always over. I typically buy 15-20 gallons at a time, so tax exempt saves me about $6 just by asking.

Comes out of same pump as on-road. They just record the gallons for off-road.

Do they add the dye when they are selling you "off-road" fuel?