Oil level in a gear box

/ Oil level in a gear box #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I just bought a Country Line post-hole auger. The manual specifies the oil weight and says to fill to the correct level. The level is not specified. What is the correct level?

I have a rotary cutter that specifies not to fill the gearbox more than 1/2 full. Are post-hole augers the same?

/ Oil level in a gear box #2  
If there's not a oil level check bolt I would go with an estimate of 1/2 full.

/ Oil level in a gear box #3  
Agree with no more than half full. If you put too much it will push it out. A third to half should be fine. I deal with lots of gear boxes. I checked 50 boxes a month ago. Make sure your vent is clear.

/ Oil level in a gear box #4  
Usually there is a pipe plug or bolt that is about half way up on the side of the gear box to remove for checking the oil level. I borrowed my neighbors Country Line digger back in November to set a couple of posts and it had a plug on the side so I assume yours will too.

/ Oil level in a gear box #5  
I fill the gear housings on my snow blower and flail mower to the bottom of the fill plug opening

/ Oil level in a gear box
Usually there is a pipe plug or bolt that is about half way up on the side of the gear box to remove for checking the oil level. I borrowed my neighbors Country Line digger back in November to set a couple of posts and it had a plug on the side so I assume yours will too.
It does have a pipe plug just over halfway up. When I posted the question, I also contacted the mfg; you are correct! Thank you.