ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question #1  

jol1269

Silver Member
Tractor
p.t. 425
ok to all the good fellas on here , i have the pt 425 i bought back in october of 03' the question i have is i am not sure of my oil cooler fan running i have not seen it come on today when i was using it is there anyway to find out if the fan is working and if so how and when should it come on i do have a massive amount of hours on mine at this point .........13 hrs so i wonder if my very short intermittent usage has not been long enough at any one time to set the fan to running but it was warm today when i used it i just want to make sure its working so i dont damage it any and all replies are very much appreciated thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question #2  
The oil has to get hot before the fan will kick on, you may not be running it long enough at a time to kick it onI think that there is a thermostate that controls the fan. But if you are running it and the hoses is getting real hot then you may have a problem. I had a problem with mine when I first got it . The problem was a fuse holder just as the wire goes through the hood next to the cooler. It had a loose wire where they crimped the wires together and the fuse was blown.

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question #3  
I had the same problem with the PT425. The 10 amp fuse to the oil cooler kept blowing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifContacted Terry at PT and he stated the spec for the fuse was too low and to just put in a 20 amp fuse. I haven't had a problem since changing to a 20 amp fuse.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Tractorgolf, FORE!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question #4  
The temperature switch on my old PT-1418 didn't work, so I just by-passed it...the fan runs all the time that the ignition switch is in the on position now, but I think that keeping it too cool is probably better than letting it get too hot. Just my humble opinion though...

Dave

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question
well well well ............ thanks fellas this is one of the main reasons for my buying the pt , all the extra and above board support by the fellas on here you were right tractorgolf i found the fuse and it was blown it was a 10 amp i plugged in a 20 amp per your post and will have to try this out in the morning ........since the fuse was blown and me have only run the machine for 13 hrs do you guys feel like i may have done any damage to anything . im hoping not /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question #6  
Nope, you haven't done any damage. The older PT-418's (predecessors to the PT-180's) were sold without oil coolers to my understanding. It doesn't do any immediate damage...over time, however, the heat differential between having an oil cooler vs. not having one shortens the life of the hydraulic pumps and motors.

HTH,
Dave

/ ok fellow pt owners oil cooler question
i appreciate that reassurance there dave . i didnt think i had but feel alot better with your thought on that i hope the 20 amp does the job better than the 10 amp i just wonder when i went , the beast makes so much noise i never heard the fan to my knowledge as i have those darned ear plugs pushed so far in my ears they seem to pass in the middle some where maybe thats why i never heard the fan /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif