OK....I admit it....I grind my gears.

/ OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #31  
Yeah, what do I know about trannies? Just figured that since it is a timing issue, sompum stopped spiinin.

FWIW. You people do know that older people loose their high frequency hearing.

Last edited:
   / OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #32  
The 790 has a non-synchro gearbox. I owned one several years ago and it was a nice tractor. I did learn how to shift up through the forward gears with no grinding, and IIRC, I could downshift with minimal grinding. But, going from a forward gear to reverse always required stopping

/ OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #33  
My JD 650 grinds every time the first time I put it in gear every time. While in use going forward and reverse no issues. But if I get off for a minute or 2 with it running it does it again.
I do not know if other gear tractors have this,, but, I found the trick to NOT grinding the gears on my JD 650,,
The shift pattern has a "blank" location across from the highest speed.
(in the case of the 650, it is across from 8th gear)

Well,, you push in the clutch, try to shift into that "blank" location for about one second,,
the transmission gears stop spinning,,
It is like that blank location is a brake for the spinning gears.

I have owned this tractor since 2016,, and just randomly discovered this "gear brake" in the last year.

It makes driving the 650 similar to using a hydro,,
(as far as listening to gear grinding!! ;) )

wTmS2UJ.jpg

/ OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #34  
It has been 50 years since I drove a car with a 3 speed transmission,,
What I remember is,,
when you tried to shift into the unsynchronized first gear,, or unsynchronized reverse, the gears would grind.
BUT, when at a dead stop, you would push in the clutch, attempt to shift into second gear,
the attempt to shift into second (or third) gear would cause the synchronizer to stop the gear rotation.
Then, after attempting to shift into second, you move the gearshift to first (or reverse) without grinding.

OR,, you could sit ,, waiting for the light to change,, with the clutch pedal depressed,,
that would keep the transmission not rotating,,
BUT,, your dad would jump all over you as to how holding the clutch pedal down would quickly wear out the clutch throwout bearing,,,o_O

/ OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #35  
They used to call that "double Clutching"...fairly common with older (1950's) sports cars

/ OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #37  
I had my 790 for 15+ years and admit to my share of gear grinding. No issues, and ran/operated perfectly well when we sold the place. I don't remember how many hours on the tractor.

/ OK....I admit it....I grind my gears. #38  
I had a white garden tractor with a snow-plow setup that I used for plowing the driveway and parking area setup in a rental house some years back. Having a couple good winters of frequent plowing, who has time to fully stop for every reversal? The gears started grinding more and more. Then the transaxle blew up (internally) and the shifter went limp, and the tractor couldn't even roll; rear wheels locked up.

My $300 investment was lost, and she went off to the scrap yard. The former owner made me promise to be good to her. I failed.