Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid?

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid?
Jim-The parts diagram for my control valve shows 2 round cans (approx. 1" x 3") threaded into the bottom of the control valve. They are referenced as P & F in the diagram.

Do I drill the small holes in the bottom surface of these cans? These are not full of hydraulic fluid and under pressure?

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #22  
Don't fall for it. He's probably a french model too. ;)
Now that's funny

I Try to always do a minimum of 60 min of full throttle hard work after warm up, especially in winter.
I think I'm going to need a smaller tractor :) I generally have a hard time working my tractor hard. I find it very difficult keeping all 85 ponies awake let alone keeping them occupied with working:)

Although using the log splitter for an hour or two gets the fluid fairly warm I'm sure that helps burn off any moisture.

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #23  
There is a product called trans tune that is a conditioner of sorts for hydraulic systems, designed to help with condensation, not remove water. I have used it in our tractors during cold weather with good results. Trouble I have had is when you run it hard in cold weather and warm everything up then park it in a cold barn condensation will form. We depend on a loader tractor every couple of days year round regardless of weather and I have found a well maintained system will give us less trouble. It amazes me how many people have 20k plus tractors and can't find the cash to change the fluids and filters regularly. All my tractors get all new fluids every spring before haying season, the ones we use during the winter get new fluids fall as well, regardless of hours. The oil may not be worn out but often shows signs of moisture, maybe our climate is harsher than others.

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid?
Can the caps be drilled without first removing them?

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #25  
I don't think that I took those end caps off before I drilled the small drain holes in them. I think a Grand L has a different valve, but the principle is the same. Condensation builds up in there with no place to get out, then when the temperature drops below freezing it binds up the valve.
I bought the workshop manual and the parts manual when I got the tractor. and I may have referred to them to know where to drill, but it's basically at the very end, at the lowest part. And not a very big hole, probably an eighth-inch or so.
I wish someone who has done this more recently would chime in. It's a pretty common problem.

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #26  
I have started experiencing the same problem on my B3000 (cab). I have to allow the tractor to run for 20to30 minutes to thaw the raise/lower function of the joystick for the LA403 loader.

Without photos of how and where to repair this I will not even start to repair it. I could see losing essential small parts and turning an easy fix into a huge problem for myself. To make it worse, my dealer is 60 miles away.

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #27  
I wonder what type of antifreeze the mechanic is talking about. maybe a little Jim Beam!
Im sure the mechnic was talking about methy hydrate or alchohol.. same as you add to your gas to prevent freezing of gas lines.. I have used methyl Alchohol on many occasions when yes the hydraulics are sluggish due to water in the oil, frost freezing against the pump pickup screen. Works like a charm .. quickly and does no damage .. I would imagine that it would evaporate over time. but yes hydraulic oil will pick up condensation over time and gradulally becomes milky just from the fact that it rarely gets hot enough to evaporate off the water thats accumulated.. esp in winter on a tractor running a snowblower on a 3 point hitch

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #28  
I'd be tempted to thank that mechanic for his helpful tip and share the joy by suggesting he add a heaping spoonful of sugar to his fuel.
Just tempted is all. I would never, ever actually tell someone to do that.

Years ago a transplant newby horse owner that lived off grid by one of my past co workers....
He stopped him heading home and said something was wrong with his horses so my friend walks over to the water tank and sees several empty jugs of full strength Prestone.

Friend said it was all he could do not to deck the guy where he stood.

He asked the guy if he was taught to read, and the guy says of course.
Friend says then why did you intentionally poison your horses.? Guy says that just keeps the water from freezing.
Friend turned around and got in contact with the local animal shelter and in the end only one horse survived. crystalized the kidneys and they were suffering.

Last edited:
   / Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #29  
a resurrection of a really old thread but since someone asked not all hydraulic system use oil based fluids. The vast majority YES because of the many benefits BUT don't forget all of the people out there like me that operate water based hydraulic systems.

Food plants where contamination from oil is a concern, where fire is a concern and oil becomes a no-no, steel mills/foundries, etc.... may use water based systems.

Of course me thinks the OP was talking about an oil based system but not so sure? was he?

/ Ok to add antifreeze to hydraulic fluid? #30  
Coolant in any oil is a killer. No matter in which system.
It eliminates the lubrication properties of the oil over time.

Would be interesting to know what reputation that said mechanic has who had this idea.