Okay so I did this... Help.

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #1  

Hank29

Tractor
John Deere 2305
Okay so here goes.. I have a John Deere 2305 that had some electric fence around the axle of the left rear tire. I had noticed that there seemed to be hydraulic fluid leaking out somewhere near the wheel.. it was all over the rim and all over the garage floor. So we took the wheel.. Cut off the electric fence and put the wheel back on. Noticed there was no fluid in the hydraulic"window" So I grabbed some and put it into the fill spot under the seat. Well.... turns out I grabbed engine oil instead of the hy-guard. Any thoughts as to what I need to do to rectify my stupidity?

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #2  
How many quarts? If only one I would probably let it slide, otherwise a perfect time from a big HyGard change. Sucks.

It is probably HyGard Lo-vis

/ Okay so I did this... Help.
Thanks Deere Dude! Nice ride you got there! Mayyybee one. So do you think just draining it and refilling will fix the situation? Or do I need to some how flush everything? What I put in was Plus 50 II 15W40..

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #4  
Well, I would be more concerned to find the leak before deciding what to do about the mistaken oil. Did the wire cut the axle seal? Replacing that is going to lose some oil anyway. Fix the leak first then drain and refill your hydraulic tank.

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #5  
Wouldn't worry about flushing, just drain and refill with the correct oil.

/ Okay so I did this... Help.
Good point Gary, Thanks! I was wondering about that.. I imagine that is what happened.. Looks like some of the wire from the fence got wrapped up Kind of in the axle. I'm not sure how to do that but I will figure it out I am sure.

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #7  
I recently changed both front axel seals on my Kubota L3240. Mud got the better of both of them. Surprisingly everything except the seals was in perfect condition which made me feel pretty good about the hard life my front axel has had. Is your Deere axel sealed off from the rest of the tractor? Mine is and If I had it to do over again I'd strongly consider filling it up with gear oil and not changing the seals.

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #8  
First operate to determine if the seal needs to be replaced. If so, change seal and fluid. If not, replace fluid. Running for a few days with the engine oil in the transmission won't hurt in these warm temperatures.

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #9  
Engine oil isn't the worst thing you could have put in there. Back when I was younger I was given an old Ford for a demolition derby. The problem was the car was too light so it became a beater car for around the farm. Not long after getting it something caught one of the automatic transmission lines going to the radiator and within a very short period of time what was in the transmission was now on the ground. After putting a section of hose between the two lines right at the transmission to bypass the radiator we were back in business. But it always leaked some. After getting tired of buying transmission fluid we started putting used engine oil in it. You couldn't tell the difference. It wasn't until we got to the bottom of the barrel and started getting more water than oil did it stop working. Even after all that once we put oil back in it we were good to go. A little fresh oil mixed with tractor fluid I doubt would even be noticed. But, like others have said, be safe and after fixing the seal change it and not worry. The engine oil is probably not designed to handle the higher pressures that hydraulic fluid will see but it will still lubricate.

/ Okay so I did this... Help. #10  
I put a half a tank of Diesel into my International Harvester Scout II... GAS engine. It didn't like it one bit but after draining the tank and filling up with new gas. It was the quietest, best sounding engine for a long time.