Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #11  
Wait until you see the babies jump 15' out of the tree where their nest was onto the ground. That is a weird thing that I've seen.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #12  
I've seen the turkey vultures here all winter. That's another first.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #13  
I very seldom see vultures - only when something gets over ripe because the coyotes haven't found it yet.

First year I can remember, out here - the Red Wing Blackbirds stayed all winter. Usually they are the first to arrive in the spring.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #14  
Just this past Wednesday , I saw sandhill cranes flying south through Indiana. no buzzards here but will return the last week of feb.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #15  
I heard a flock of sandhills here yesterday.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #16  
I always found it kind of a shame that the turkey vultures head south for winter right before we smash all the deers on the road in November/December from the rut, and hunting season pressure. So many carcasses just have to sit there all winter long in the ditch.

Anyone who sees cranes... tell 'em to turn around! More brutal cold air inbound.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #17  
I always found it kind of a shame that the turkey vultures head south for winter right before we smash all the deers on the road in November/December from the rut, and hunting season pressure. So many carcasses just have to sit there all winter long in the ditch.

Anyone who sees cranes... tell 'em to turn around! More brutal cold air inbound.
The cranes were finally flying south... in the middle of January. It hasn't been cold enough, long enough, for them to not be able to find food and water here until last week.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #18  

Around here the bald eagle population is increasing and I didn't realize that eagles would eat roadkill until I saw one on a dead deer a while back. With the buzzards gone now, they don't have much competition.

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back. #19  
i use to time the seasons more on the way the buzzards would return and leave. They are very good at knowing how the weather is going to be.
I was a bit shocked today to see our local crew of buzzards return. Its January. They NEVER return in January. That's two months too early.
If you find yourself with vultures circling overhead, see your doctor!

/ Okay this is odd. The Vultures are back.
Its a common myth that Vultures circle over potential meals. They circle when they have found a good thermal. :)