Oklahoma earthquakes!

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I know smaller ones happen here, but this one seems larger than normal. I guess this is where a storm shelter may do you little good of you live in "tornado ally".

From FOX news.

Three Earthquakes Shake Central Oklahoma

Published November 05, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY Authorities say three earthquakes that have shaken much of central Oklahoma could be felt as far away as Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas.

The U.S. Geological Survey says on its website early Saturday morning that a 4.7 magnitude earthquake struck at 2:12 a.m., with an epicenter about six miles north of Prague in southern Lincoln County. That's about 50 miles east of Oklahoma City.

A 3.4 magnitude aftershock was reported at 2:27 a.m. from the same location.

The survey says a 2.7 magnitude quake also was recorded at 2:44 a.m.

Lincoln County sheriff officials say there have been no reports of injuries but several people have reported items falling off walls.

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #2  
It seems that earthquake activity has increased recently, not only worldwide but in the United States also. We humans exist on a Living Planet.:)

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #3  
In central Ark. there is a area that has had earthquakes since the Mississippi ran back wards
And now the gas companys have been drilling wells and Frackling for gas. at same time they filed and received permission to drill down to below any chance of fluid coming to surface. and injecting water used in this Fracking of wells.
And the 1.5 to 2.5 earthquakes continued so the envinmental people used this to stop the water injecting and replug the wells. and the quakes continue with same readings. enjoy the motion keeps the stuff getting stacked to tall on the shelves.

ken

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #4  
It woke me up. I live in Enid, OK.

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #6  
It seems that earthquake activity has increased recently, not only worldwide but in the United States also. We humans exist on a Living Planet.:)

From these graphs Earthquake Facts and Statistics Graphs it would appear that earthquake activity has been increasing...but there might be underlying reasons like better or more detectors that are skewing this data.

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #7  
I've been checking this USGS website frequently since we had our 5.8 earthquake back in August. We.ve had 44 more since then here in Central Virginia, none stronger than the first.

I saw yours this morning on this map.

Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #8  
i am going to say, folks are just more aware of earthquakes. more so with internet. and advancement of technology. granted i am sure some bozo some place made a call that had a well dug for gas or like and caused some problem some place. but *shrugs*

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #9  
I know smaller ones happen here, but this one seems larger than normal.
*I guess this is where a storm shelter may do you little good of you live in "tornado ally".
The storm shelter could turn out to be your burial vault in a quake but then you would not have funeral expences. :laughing:

/ Oklahoma earthquakes! #10  
We felt the 5.8 that we had last night. First time we ever felt anything that seemed to be an earthquake (previous ones just felt like close thunder). Lasted long enough for me to realize it was and earthquake and go to the grandson's bed and put him on the floor and stay over him. After it stops I go checking for damage and my wife comes out of the bathroom and seen the grandson sleeping on the floor and thinks the earthquake knocked hiim out of the bed. She was freaking out over that until I told her I put him on the floor. Seemed to shake and rumble for 1-1/2 minutes or more. One odd thing was our wall clock (wind up pendellum type) was stopped by the quake. No damage to it - I just found it odd that the pendellum would stop.