Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem #11  
pull your "turn buckle" (2 threaded eye bolts, with long nut) top link off your tractor, and pickup a bar/chain (short bar, and some chain) to use as a top link for when running the rotary cutter.

you can go all chain. but you might fight the connection point on back of tractor were top link connects.

the chain will let the rear end of rotary cutter "float" more with the terrain. more so when dealing with ditches. the rear end of the rotary cutter will follow the hills of ditch a little better within reason. and you will end up seeing the "skids / skis" on the side of the rotary cutter being used more.

if you need to backup on a nasty thorn bush. and you can't get deck raised up enough, stop redo chain a little bit. and re-raise deck up nice and high. then once done, redo chain. vs monkey around with a turn buckle

============
errr re-looking at picture.... there is already a chain. running near were top link on tractor connects to rotary cutter. and then runs further back on the rotary cutter. adjust this chain. to help raise/lower rear end of the rotary cutter. when you want to lift it up. just be careful this chain does not some how wrap around the PTO shaft / slip clutch and damage something.

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem #12  
Or just put the toplink in the lower hole. It will cause the tailwheel to raise much faster / higher in relation to the front of the cutter, but still be level at operating height.

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem #13  
And thanks TerryR for identifying the vintage.

You're welcome. I don't know how long that model was made, only that I bought mine in 1997. So yours is probably somewhere in that range.

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem
pull your "turn buckle" (2 threaded eye bolts, with long nut) top link off your tractor, and pickup a bar/chain (short bar, and some chain) to use as a top link for when running the rotary cutter.

you can go all chain. but you might fight the connection point on back of tractor were top link connects.

the chain will let the rear end of rotary cutter "float" more with the terrain. more so when dealing with ditches. the rear end of the rotary cutter will follow the hills of ditch a little better within reason. and you will end up seeing the "skids / skis" on the side of the rotary cutter being used more.

if you need to backup on a nasty thorn bush. and you can't get deck raised up enough, stop redo chain a little bit. and re-raise deck up nice and high. then once done, redo chain. vs monkey around with a turn buckle

============
errr re-looking at picture.... there is already a chain. running near were top link on tractor connects to rotary cutter. and then runs further back on the rotary cutter. adjust this chain. to help raise/lower rear end of the rotary cutter. when you want to lift it up. just be careful this chain does not some how wrap around the PTO shaft / slip clutch and damage something.

Thanks for the tips. If backing into brush, is it better to keep the deck low and let it "climb" as it pushes over saplings, or lift it high, like those guys that mow the roadsides with their "arm" mounted monster bush hogs out to the side?

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem #15  
Thanks for the tips. If backing into brush, is it better to keep the deck low and let it "climb" as it pushes over saplings, or lift it high, like those guys that mow the roadsides with their "arm" mounted monster bush hogs out to the side?

i would be better off stating. make sure you know how to adjust your slip clutch. and make sure it is set correctly.

google/youtube "slip clutch" and find out what you most likely need to do min once a year. to make sure slip clutch is in working order.

i say above, because, to many variables and each situation / bush different. and making sure your saftey protection of tractor is in place before you try to take on to much.

========
if sapling is 1" or larger, prefer just using a chain saw, and dropping blade into dirt to cut right off at ground level (more likely go through chains quicker but *shrugs*). the bigger diameter stuff, just seems to leave a nasty stump, for a few years to come, that some how i always manage to find with my foot. and more so, end up seeing tires "scraped up" on the tractor. also the larger stuff, does not always cut up nicely, leaving long strips of bark, to just beating the heck of the sapling, but not really cutting it up. just kinda stripping it of all the small little branches and leaves.

i also get uneasy driving forward over larger saplings, to easy for a branch to snag something under tractor. (hose, wire, something) and bring you down to a stand still. bush guards on the front, and belly pans can help reduce a lot of risk. but still.

i dealt with more "multi flower rose" bushes. nuisance bush. the thorns can be rather long and nasty for tires. and some times only way to get rotary cutter on them is raising deck up some what (within reason) and lowering down on them. and taking small bites at a time (kinda like taking half passes with a finishing mower deck due to grass is to tall). trying to take entire bush on at once, more likely branches tangling up on everything and then needing to manual get the old gloves, cutters, etc... out and pulling the thorny branches out from the rotary deck by hand.

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem #16  
I always assumed there were the bush Hogs, and the the lighter Squealers, as in piglets. I just made that up: anyone know for sure about the name?
Jim

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem
Got all the bent parts straightened! Took it for a spin. Looking good. But now I can not find the manual I swear I found on line just two days ago. Need the length of the spring on the torque limiter. Would it be the same as on the SQ160? That calls for 1.08". I've loosened it up and spun it; then tightened it some. It's getting warm though, so I think it's still slipping. Anyone with a hog like this know the setting? Or point me to the operator's manual? Thanks!

/ Old Bush Hog 3 Pt hitch height problem #18  
I always assumed there were the bush Hogs, and the the lighter Squealers, as in piglets. I just made that up: anyone know for sure about the name?
Jim

I believe Bush Hogs are assembled in Georgia. I believe Squealers are imported, mostly assembled, from Asia.

I could be wrong.