Old Diesel

/ Old Diesel #1  

hudr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5005DI
This is for anyone out there who is obsessing about their diesel fuel being "old".
We sold Dad's old 806 International today. Tractor has been sitting for at least 7 years w/o being cranked/turned over. Tractor was pulled to where it sat. (for those interested, front oil seal is out, BAD, pours oil when running). Tank is about 1/2 full of diesel fuel from late '90s. Buyer comes out w/ a hot battery, we overfill the oilpan a bit, push the button and GRR-RRR---Spritz of WD-40- VROOOOM! Bird and rats' nests fly!
The old IH busts off and runs long enough (several minutes) for the buyer to verify that the gears, clutch, brakes and hydraulics are still serviceable. The only additive this fuel MIGHT have had in it is made my Lucas. Old fuel will burn. It just may not do the best job of it.
Would I make a habit of it? No.
Would I drain the fuel from this tractor when I got it home? Yes.
Would I expect it to cause problems if done regularly? Yes, at LEAST a clogged filter.
Will I pull my hair out because I think the fuel in my tractor is nearing its 1st birthday? No.
And yes, I know, we didn't run the tractor very long. But I know it ran long enough to get the fuel out of the lines and start on the fuel in the tank. It never smoked or missed a beat. Moisture and algae content (among other things) would be a concern using the fuel long term.
But is it just me? Or does this kind of make you wonder about the "marketing" behind all these fuel additives we buy?

/ Old Diesel #2  
hudr, This a question that I worried about last fall. I bought a 37 hp Kubota to work some land I bought to build a house on. Things happened that caused a two year delay. It still has some of the original fuel from the purchase date, other than a few snowstorms it's been mainly a lawn decoration. I read about aging deisel fuel and got concerned I bought this high end stuff ( $39.00 pint. )from a company that serves marine diesels that cure's all ills water, algae and cold weather problems. As you say it probably was unecessary but I have to say it made me feel better knowing the amount of money that was sitting there. I consider myself pretty resistant to advertising but I tend to fall for it if I don't really know a lot about the subject matter eg: the care and feeding of diesel engines

/ Old Diesel #3  
i am betting a normal amount of lucas or seafoam or stabil or another decent fuel preservative 10 years ago would have made a gigantic difference in the fuel being ok now.

i've tried gasoline a few years old not protected and it would hardly light a candle, let alone an engine

mike

/ Old Diesel #4  
No doubt, it makes you wonder.. I have personally seen the difference the additives make in an engine that is frequently used, and have no doubt it would make a difference in one that has set.. It's an interesting story and believe every word of it.. Rather than doubting the necessity, I'd be more likely to credit the Lucas that was probably added.. I've always been skeptical of treatments and additives, untill I got familliar with diesels and their additives..

/ Old Diesel #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But is it just me? Or does this kind of make you wonder about the "marketing" behind all these fuel additives we buy? )</font>

No, it is not just you.

I'd be more likely to attribute it to the fact that diesel is not a very volatile compound. It has something like a +140F vaporization temp compared to -70F for gasoline.

/ Old Diesel #6  
My present car was brought of storage 10 years ago from being stored 4 1/2 years. Started right up after the dead battery was replaced. Diesel was light brown. Engine pinged at constant, about 40 mph, speed. Put Chevron Red Line in the fuel for the 2nd time in its life, and the pinging stopped. Ran that tank out.

Ralph