Old GRUNT or New CUT?

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
Well.. There seems to be such a wealth of information here. It really is great to have so much knowledge in one spot.

My wife and I are looking for land. Somewhere in the range of 35 to 100 acres.

I just purchased a new lawn and garden tractor. I got a 20HP cub cadet. This is slated to be the lawn mower, and snow blower for a long time.

The PLAN.. I aim to get a older 30 to 60HP tractor. I would probably end up with a 2wd, with a FEL because of economics. I would want to run a 6" brush chipper, bushog, maybe a backhoe. I would use it to drag out trees (simply to heat my home, not commercial operation)

Am I thinking wrong?

Would I be better off with a newer CUT? Instead of old muscle?

Maybe a 25 horse CUT?? Would that run a small hydraulic feed chipper? I think that the newer CUT would be 4wd.

I think that in a new CUT... Id be spending 12 to 15 thousand. A older tractor would be a lot less money.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
JP

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #2  
If you want to go used, a Massey 240,250, 253, are some of the best utility tractors made. High font axle clearance, low center of gravity, good seat position, easy to drive, realiability, if taken care of would last a liftime, Perkins engine, the best, (Perkins now owned by Caterpillar)
Massey owned by AGCO, BOO HOO
/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Chuck M.

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #3  
JP, I'm really a fan of the small 4WD, hydrostatic transmission, CUTs . . . however, for what you're talking about doing, I tend to think you've got the right idea. You can get a big older tractor for a lot less money if you have a big enough place and need the weight and power. About 7 years ago, a neighbor bought an 85hp Oliver with about 5000 hours on it and gave about $5,000 for it. He's still using it and it probably has about 8000 hours on it now. He's had to have some work done on it, of course, but I'll bet he hasn't spent $2000 on it, and that includes replacing both rear wheels that had corroded from having calcium in the tires before he bought it.

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #4  
I'd say go with an Ag tractor instead of a CUT. If you have up to $15g to spend you can pick up a good mfd utility tractor for that price. It might not be a certain color of green,but that don't mean it's not a good tractor!!

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #5  
JP, the older ag tractor for less money may be the better bet but I recommend you go into the deal with your eyes wide open. If you know the history of the older tractor it may be less of a risk but any tractor 30 or more years old will need some repair at some point.

10 years ago I purchased a nice JD 4020 gas tractor with about 5500 hours. The owner assured me the hour meter was accurate. I even took it to a JD shop to dyno it and look it over before I purchased it. It checked out ok.

About a year later the powershift transmission started acting up. $3200 later I had it shifting properly. Shortly thereafter the rockshaft (3-point hitch) wouldn't lift all of the way. $500 later it worked perfectly.

There were a few oil leaks, alternator replacement and some other problems that result in some rather costly repairs.

5 years ago I abandoned the ag tractor plan and went with a 4300 JD compact utility tractor. After a couple of trades I am now on a New Holland TC40D although the JD compacts are excellent tractors.

The compact tractors are more money to start with especially if you buy new. But you get a warranty and you know how the tractor was cared for. You should get many years of fairly trouble free service.

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Somewhere in the range of 35 to 100 acres.
)</font>

thats quite a range. also the range of 30 to 60 hp . if u are going to go to a 60hp then mabey an older tractor would be the way to go , but if u lean towards a 30,35 hp size there are a lot of new or slightly used 4wd tractors that would do what u desire.

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #7  
Yes,that is one of the chances that you take with used anything. But at those hours you do have to think about rebuilding components if they have not already had it done.

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #8  
JP11, I would go with the old iron. MUCH bigger bang for the buck to start. Probably can find a bunch of used implements as well for a lot less than the cost of a new anything. Old Fords and Farmalls and JDs that are over 50 years old are still workin hard, easy to maintain, have many aftermarket parts availability and will teach you the necessary "lessons" that everyone usually learns. All have proven engines, trans and hydraulics. Once you think you need something else, go get it....but at least you will then REALLY know what you need that you may not have with the first one....By the way you will most likely keep the old iron as well because there are some things it can do that new may not. BobG in VA who has a '57 Farmall and a 2002 Mahindra 6000 4WD/FEL, etc, etc.

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT?
Thanks

Those were my thoughts. It's not like I would be trying to make a living with the thing. A breakdown will be a inconvenience at most.

I figured thrashing through the woods twitching out trees with something new and shiney wouldn't be fun. Something that was old and already had it's share of dents and dings would be fine.

I think that 30HP would probably be on the way low side. Most likely I would look for something with 40+

I wouldnt mind something bigger.. I just dont need a big heavy CUT lawnmower. I bought the cub to specifically get the lawn and driveway done.

So, the appeal of the CUT with the warranty and all that is nice.

I think I would rather spend 6 to 8K on a old workhorse. Then spend a couple grand buying up all kinds of implements that I couldn't really justify if I had to buy small sized, newer and more expensive ones.

so.. how old is too old? I know I'm not going to have a machine that was babied.. and olnly driven to church on sundays!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't mind spending money for upkeep, but how to avoid buying a lemon? I would imagine that having a knowledgeable mechanic to do a "pre buy" inspection would be a smart idea.

Ideas?

Thanks
JP

/ Old GRUNT or New CUT? #10  
I agree with the ag tractor sugestion... If you look in trader mags.. the big iron doesn't hold its price against the compacts. I see JD 3020's all the time.. that like what? 70hp? .. was listed as 5500. ford 8000 105 pto hp 4995...big 150hp case... 6500.. 130hp fiat.. 6000.. etc...

Get a big boy....then you can run a 15' mower /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Soundguy