Old South Bend lathe

/ Old South Bend lathe
The belt has been cut but it's with the lathe so I know the correct length. Or so I thought. After reading up on the lathe the belt's path goes through a slot in the casting so it has to have a splice. I did find an on-line version of "How to run a lathe" and have read some of it. But right now I don't think it's in usable shape so getting it there is the first step, if it's worth it. The bed has some surface rust on it, nothing bad but until I remove the rust it's impossible to check to see how badly worn it is. It looks like it was one of several in a business that must have been removed from service decades ago and possibly sold to someone who worked there. I'm thinking that the best course of action is to just tear the whole thing down and clean up everything.

Inside the cabinet looks to be in worse shape than the lathe. Clearly where it was stored saw some moisture. It can be cleaned up but it'll take more work. So far there's the back gear with the broken teeth, wear on the bed, the age of the belts, missing gears to change speeds of the lead screw, and the motor is original and could have been damaged (since it's in the lower cabinet). I'm thinking that next summer I can strip it down and soda blast the grime off of the parts and strip any surface rust. Too cold right now.

/ Old South Bend lathe #12  
Pretty good bunch of collectors in Vermont area who rescued an ancient timber frame metal lathe from a museum last year and moved it to another museum. High density area for old machine collectors.

Yup, little cold right now to be playin wid iron.