Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-)

/ Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-) #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
I just finished up one of the last fields to be turned this will be my pumpkin patch about 6 acres now all we have to do is sell them :), hopefully they'll be in high demand we'll see. It's times like this I wish I had the the agricultural tires, I was thinking about getting a set just to keep around for the springtime with plowing and cultivating its about the only time you really could use them, the other problem is the tires are filled with calcium chloride it would be a little dangerous to move them around. It's too bad they don't have a tire that would be the best of both worlds a little more aggressive yet not so wedged cut oh well that's what they make tire chains for ;-), although this year was so dry I really didn't have that much slippage. Take care

Attachments

• field plow.jpg
    field plow.jpg
    984.5 KB · Views: 277
  • field 2.jpg
    field 2.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 237
  • baby will need a bath.jpg
    baby will need a bath.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 290
   / Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-) #2  
Those tires look pretty AG to me, a littler wider and flatter on the treads but nothing like a turf tire. Are those tires you have supposed to be somwhere in between the two types? Thanks TB

/ Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-) #3  
Those tires look pretty AG to me, a littler wider and flatter on the treads but nothing like a turf tire. Are those tires you have supposed to be somwhere in between the two types? Thanks TB
Those are R-4 Industrial Tires and they kind of are somewhere inbetween the Ag tires and Turfs. Unfortunately, this usually means that they can't do well what Ag's or Turf tires are specifically made for.

/ Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-)
yes the track loader tires are a mixed batch but the one thing they do well is handle extreme weight of the front end loaders and they're pretty good at resisting punctures too, I was trying to describe what they use in Europe and Asia I believe they call them R--2 it's wide but aggressive good flotation in a wet area but excellent traction oh well you can't have everything we have a big old 95 hp case but her clutch went south so you just make do what you have , I just wish I had the R1 sometimes especially when I'm spinning and wasting time.

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    985.6 KB · Views: 209
  • plow side.jpg
    plow side.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 232
   / Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-) #5  
take your bucket off while plowing. you will get more traction from your rear tires

I could see by the way you're looking at the photos, that taking off the bucket would help but to the contrary the tractor is four-wheel-drive you want as much weight over all the wheels as possible first off R1 would be the correct choice, remember the plow is pulling into the earth as it is heading forward the rear tires have that weight pulling them down however the front end wants to lift up even on my 95 hp case the front end wants to lift that's what suitcase weights are for but in this situation a bucket of dirt is much cheaper :).

/ Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-) #7  
weghts at the front axle are good and would not unweight your back tires which should do most of the pulling. dirt in your bucket,however, reduces down pressure on your back tires,unweights your back tires, as you know,and shifts more of the pulling demand to your front wheel axle. not the ideal set up for plowing in fact could cause damage to your front gear box while making a turn. But I realize you are making some practical compromises here to get the most out of your tractor without ag tires.good luck

while you make some interesting points, I could see possibly before the plow starts to enter the Earth, but even then the plow is over 1800 pounds I just don't understand why you think the back tires are losing traction :), the plow itself is a category two so it's not a light plow perhaps a smaller plow would cause this effect you are stating. As far as the four-wheel-drive goes I never go in the field without it engaged not just for traction but to spread the torque load over all wheels . the loader is loaded with rocks or soil,and most of the time right to it's limit,while turning the steering wheel. Now before you get too upset understand the TC 55 2420 4060 which basically is my tractor are built a little beefier than the 40 series, on top of that I would never turn the wheel on any tractor on pavement in four-wheel-drive, but in soft soil it's really not an issue. In a way my tires are good in one other respect they slip before the clutch that's a good thing. I will try to do a little more plowing today and have someone take photos maybe when you see the back tires crushed down you'll see what I'm talking about as I go through the earth I'm surprised no old farmers jumped in with their opinion I'd be interested in hearing their views take care

/ Old That Smell Ripping Earth :-) #9  
your points are well taken. another area that may maximize your plowing setup without weights and ag tires is the plow itself. is it diving? if the plow dives your traction demands are high. are you getting complete turnover of the sod in each furrow? continued happy plowing