Ole Rusty, JD Model G

/ Ole Rusty, JD Model G #1  

RJ in KY

Tractor
John Deere, Massey Harris, IHC
I decided to post a few pictures of our John Deere Model G.
This tractor had sat in an open equipment shed since the late 80s
and had not ran since then. Bought it, and got it home October 2nd
of last year, and we started fixing on it. 3 months later, we got to take
it to its first show in January. We opted to use steel wool and linseed oil to preserve it,
Rather than paint it. There is a little more work to do to it, but we are
proud of the fact that we saved this one, and brought it back to
running and driving, and hopefully doing some farm chores with it
in the near future.

G.jpg 235.jpg 250.jpg
IMG_20200111_112545172.jpg

/ Ole Rusty, JD Model G #2  
RJ :welcome: to TBN

She is a beauty !! Have a love for the G, as in my teen years (14 and 15) I hired out to a dairy farm and our main tractor was the model G.
Really like the effect of the steel wool and linseed oil..
Have a bit of envy for your being able to use it for the farm chores.

Hook up to a PTO driven square baler and enjoy the thrill of overloading the baler with a slug of hay that is going to plug it up unless you pop the clutch, shift out of gear, and engage the clutch very quickly before the baler stops running.. very vivid routine in my mind. :D :)

/ Ole Rusty, JD Model G
We got to play a little more with the G this last week. The field next to the shop was cut for hay,
so we decided to hook up the New Holland rake to Ole Rusty, and give him some run time
raking the hay field. The old tractor did okay, raking the 18 acre field without missing a beat.
Pretty good for an old tractor that hadn't ran or been worked in over 3 decades.
It wasn't bad to ride or drive either. Was quite fun, listening to the low bellowing popping sound
that is the signature of the 2 cylinder engine of a G, as you are going up and down the hills.

IMG_20200617_121351.jpg IMG_20200617_121402.jpg