Oleander flowers

/ Oleander flowers #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Does anybody know if sheep,cattle or horses will eat this posionous shurb if it is planted close enough for them to reach it. I have been told that they know it is posionous and will stay away from it. Just want to be sure this info is correct.
Thanks in advance for the help.

george

/ Oleander flowers #2  
Hi George,
What's a shurb? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Seriously though, I'd think a call to a large-animal vet would tell you whether or not he's had to treat any oleander-poisoned stock (assuming the plant is common in your area). Maybe he could answer the question about instinctive-avoidance, too.

Larry

/ Oleander flowers #3  
Keoke,In Oz if the animals don't know the plant,not many do,they'll pick at it during drier weather if there is not much else around as it still looks green.So my Mrs tells me. I would advise not planting this anywhere as it is so highly toxic. Kerry.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Kerry on 06/28/01 04:19 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Oleander flowers #4  
Many more folks are alergic to Oleander than know it. Plenty of folks are at least mildy bothered by it sometimes and never make the connection.

Patrick

/ Oleander flowers #5  
I vaguely remember an article in our local paper about Oleanders along a fence line that the neighbors horses were eating. I believe one of the horses died and the horses owner was suing to have the plants removed. Oleander owner refused and they were going to court over it.

Branch