Oliver 770

/ Oliver 770 #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I'm thinking of going to look at an Oliver 770 with a loader this weekend. It's being offered at $3000. I would be considering it to run a square hay baler among many other things. I also really need a tractor with a loader. Anyone have any experience with this tractor? It seems like a reasonable price, if it's in good shape.

Thanks!

Rich
"What a long strange trip it's been."

/ Oliver 770 #2  
oc05-022.jpg

Oliver 770, Mfr. 1958-67, 6 cyl-216 cid, G/D/LP, 50/48 PTO HP, 4899/5038 lbs., Last Fact. Price $4190/4770.

Low/Avg/High Auction Pricing {w/o loader}
$1000/1570/2200.

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Oliver 770 #3  
RichZ,I don't know much about the 770, but if its anything like the 550 I had its a real workhorse. These are REAL tractors, not like the compacts we all love so much! If its in good shape I would go for it. I sold mine for $4500 with a loader if that helps you any.

/ Oliver 770 #4  
The price seems average for the setup/age/etc. But the only negative thing I see is the design of the Oliver's front axle with a heavily loaded bucket...

You may want to call locally an Oliver expert {he may have even sold this unit back then...!}

Call Sydney Chavin in Nassau : 766-2436...

He also has used tractors... {He may not remember me, but tell him a friend of Joe Kospa's sent ya...}

Good luck Richie... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Oliver 770
Thanks, John! I just found that picutre, but not all those facts. Like everyone else, I don't know how you do it! I spent my lunch hour search for info, and you found all that 5 minutes after I posted.

I sure hope this one looks like that picture, it's a beauty!!!

Rich

/ Oliver 770 #7  
That Oliver 6-cyl does have a "bit" more torque than the Fergie... {nice for serious brush hogging...}

If it's not a trip loader and full hydraulics for the bucket... and it's diesel... for $3K... I'd go for it... I think you can get your money back out of it...

You're not digging a basement with that loader so it would probably be ok... that is the main weakness with all the 50 & 60's tractors on trying to retrofit loaders... with the front tires/axle/wheel bearing design...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Oliver 770
OK, John. I've gotta show my ignorance. What's a "trip loader"?

Yeah it does have a "bit" more torque than my Fergie, but no matter what my second tractor is, my Fergie is a keeper. It's perfect for finish mowing and other light duty stuff!

Rich

/ Oliver 770 #9  
<font color=blue>...What's a "trip loader"?...</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=109761&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post109761>My trip loader on my old MF135...</A>

Notice NO hydraulic cylinders to operate the bucket... you pull a "trip-lever" connected to a cable and this releases the bucket to dump... also called a poor-man's loader... but like I said before... It's a heck of a lot better than a shovel.../w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Oliver 770
Thanks, John. Now I get it! You're right, it's better than a shovel!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifAnd I'm going to be using it to move manure, so it should be fine! I hope this tractor is in good shape!!/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif I'll let you know!

Rich