One step closer to zero emission power equipment

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #131  
The guy who does custom sawing down the road from me has an Echo 58 which is all that he uses around the site. He's the one who got me thinking about it.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #132  
All this talk about battery powered gear and vehicles is fine, but the real problem isn't the US or other western countries. It's China and India. Between those 2, I've read it was estimated those two countries are responsible for 25%-30% of global warming pollutants

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #133  
Given the performance of my Echo 58v, that would not be a problem. The chargers are fast and swapping batteries is faster than filling a gas tank. There are absolutely some tasks that are better with a bigger saw. Breaking down timber into logs? Just keep the chain lubed and sharp. Felling trees that are more than 20" across...maybe wait until they make one with a longer bar.

I use a 24" bar on an MS362 to buck 18"-24" trees. It's a 59cc saw. It barely meets the cut speed I like.

I would have to see a battery operated saw with a 24" bar cut as fast as a gas powered saw before I convert.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #134  
Imagine processing 6 cords of wood to heat your home with a battery operated saw.

There is no way a battery saw is going to buck larger timber at this point. Just not enough bar length/power available. I think the longest is 16 in. For bucking my softwood I prefer 60cc+ saw and 25+ inch bar so I dont have to bend over. Once there is a battery saw that can compete Ill consider it.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #135  
There is no way a battery saw is going to buck larger timber at this point. Just not enough bar length/power available. I think the longest is 16 in. For bucking my softwood I prefer 60cc+ saw and 25+ inch bar so I dont have to bend over. Once there is a battery saw that can compete Ill consider it.
EGO sells an 18" saw
Mine is a 16"...all I need

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #136  
All this talk about battery powered gear and vehicles is fine, but the real problem isn't the US or other western countries. It's China and India. Between those 2, I've read it was estimated those two countries are responsible for 25%-30% of global warming pollutants
Yes. However US cities arent great either. 25 of the worlds mega cities produce around 50% of GHGs. The US has multiple cities in that list. In the Top 50 the US has have 11 of them if the data is to be believed.

It’s a CITY/URBAN problem, not a RURAL problem. I sure hope they dont restrict those in rural areas with their stupid city policies. Cities need all of this work (EVs, solar, battery power, removal of CO2 emitting sources). Rural areas should only be effected after the cities are Resolved.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #137  
It’s a CITY/URBAN problem, not a RURAL problem. I sure hope they dont restrict those in rural areas with their stupid city policies. Cities need all of this work (EVs, solar, battery power, removal of CO2 emitting sources). Rural areas should only be effected after the cities are Resolved.
Agree 100%

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #138  
Yes. However US cities arent great either. 25 of the worlds mega cities produce around 50% of GHGs. The US has multiple cities in that list. In the Top 50 the US has have 11 of them if the data is to be believed.

The article in the original post did not differentiate between urban or rural. It was a state wide California mandate by governor Nuisance.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #139  
The article in the original post did not differentiate between urban or rural. It was a state wide California mandate by governor Nuisance.
Ya sorry when I say it is my hope, that never includes CA ;)

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #140  
My stihl saw is nearly 25 years old. Never do much more than replace plugs on it. Runs every time. And it gets lots of use. I have 20 acres of trees I maintain. I have no intention of getting a battery powered chainsaw, or mower.