Onion drying for storage:?

/ Onion drying for storage:? #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Hey all: last year we grew and stored onions OK but lost a lot of them due to rott while hanging. this year the RED onions seem to be already rotting even before drying off from pulling them? We/I put them into the garden shed which has a floor and windows. it gets warm in daytime and stops most moisture from getting to them and last year seemed to work well. This year the reds are much softer and wetter than they were last year. I ran a fan last year for a few weeks but that seems to be a loss for $ by running the fan 24/7. the yellow / white ones seem to be doing fine with less than 5% loss at this point where the reds as probably a 50+% loss. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

anyone have a better way to store them? also I bring them into house prior to freezing and hang them from the stem just as I do in the garden shed. 4~6 smaller ones hung in a bunch and 3~4 bigger ones ok thanks for any advice...

mark M

/ Onion drying for storage:? #2  
I don't have a solution, Mark, but that's why I only grew a few red onions a couple of years and then quit using them at all. They just did not keep well or long. However, someone must have a solution, since they seem to keep well enough to be in the grocery stores.

/ Onion drying for storage:? #3  
I'm not sure about whites or reds but Vidalia's don't store well if they touch each other. Wifes solution was to save all her old panty hose. She dropped an onion down the leg, tied a knot, dropped in another one, another knot, etc. When done you have two legs of panty hose with onions that don't touch each other. Looks really strange hanging in the pantry.

/ Onion drying for storage:? #4  
Think there are quite a few different varieties of onions. Some will store well, others not.

When choosing the seeds or sets pick there should be an explenation on which type you are getting.

Also helps to leave the stalks on but bent over for a while before taking them out of the ground. Also leave the stalks on while storing them.

Just think

" Rye bread still hot from the oven - thick slice of Brandywine tomato, a sprinkle of fresh Basil and a thick slice of fresh sweet onion "

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Onion drying for storage:? #5  
Might try soaking them in a 10% bleach solution before hanging them up... it will kill a lot of molds and bacteria on the outside...

/ Onion drying for storage:? #6  
I saw my buddy drying onions using this method, I did not ask how long he leaves them like this, I am sure he has to take them in before it gets too cold. In his barn he stretched a section of chain link fence horizontally between 2 poles. Then he puts the onions on it with the stem sticking down through he fence. This keeps them from rolling together, and allows air flow around them.