Online banking suggestions

/ Online banking suggestions #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I am never able to get to the bank. Does anyone have a good online bank that can provide a good return and free checking????

Bob

/ Online banking suggestions #2  
Many local banks have free checking accounts and on line bill pay. I have a free checking account with free on line bill pay at the closest bank to me to make it convenient to deposit checks and I have an on line account at ING that pays high interest daily. I deposit my checks at my local bank and then transfer the money on line to my ING account where it draws interest. When it's time to pay bills I transfer the money on line back to my local bank and use their free bill pay to pay the bills. It is so much easier and faster than writing checks and no need to buy stamps either. :)

/ Online banking suggestions #3  
We have 2 accounts at local credit unions. Both have online access, checking and bill pay. One gives free use of Checkfree. I like it because they also give auto notice of bills that need paying. Savings & checking account pay interest. Although not as as much as in other accounts. Since we travel several months a year we like being able to pay our bills on the computer. Almost all Credit Unions belong to the same network. This allows free ATM use nation wide.

/ Online banking suggestions
Thanks to both of you for your sage advice.
Bob

/ Online banking suggestions #5  
I use Chevychase Bank for years. Had online banking when it used customary piece of sw and a modem; love the comfort and info level of their solution, but pretty much every bank should have online access now.

/ Online banking suggestions #6  
I use etrade bank. they have a savings account that you can transfer in and out of easily that pays 3% (last time I looked). It may be limited to 3 withdrawal transfers per month. You can link it to pretty much any other account at any bank, including a checking account at etrade that also pays interest and lets you do unlimited transactions including paying bills.

/ Online banking suggestions #7  
I've been using on-line bill pay with my bank since the last postal rate increase and I find it is much easier than checks and mail. If I need to pay a new business (like insurance) I enter simple info (account #'s, address) and it scans and finds the info to send the payment.
Check with a local bank that you prefer, most should have this service. It saves them time and trouble too.

/ Online banking suggestions #8  
I prefer a local credit union with online facilities. I emphasize local because sometimes you just have to be able to sit down face to face with someone to resolve an issue. By local, I mean within a reasonable driving distance if you really have to go to their office.

As an example, I used to do all my banking with a credit union located hundreds of miles away in my former home state. All of a sudden, they up and changed their name and issued everyone new ATM cards with randomly generated access codes. I wanted by old code back, and they said, "Sure, just come on in." It turned out that their system does not allow their customer service folks to change an access code, other than to generate a new random code. It requires the member to insert the card in a special reader in the CU office and to enter the new code into an attached keypad blocked from the customer service person's view. I am now in the process of switching everything to a new local credit union.

I prefer a credit union because they are member owned and management is accountable to those members. Banks are far more profit driven, as recent events have shown.

I have my retirement check deposited directly into the CU account. I can also move funds between it and an investment account elsewhere electronically. I buy everything except small change items with a credit card, which I pay off each month using an ACH (Automated Clearing House) draft of my checking account.

I have never signed up for any bill paying service, and I have never paid a service fee to have a bill paid electronically, yet almost all my bills are paid that way. I write very few checks.

I allow reputable companies to use monthly automatic ACH drafts of my account to pay recurring bills. I do not do this with any bill that may have pass through charges from third parties, such as credit card companies or telephone service providers. Those I pay with a manual ACH draft which I approve each time. I have be doing this for many, many years, and I have not had a single problem with it.

I usually get cash back using my ATM card at grocers for my walking around money. My credit union does not charge for this, nor do they charge anything for ACH transfers. If they did, I would go elsewhere.

To be clear, as I understand it, bank/CU bill paying services process and pay your bills, usually for a monthly fee. ACH payments just process the bank drafts.

I also take advantage of the Co-Op inter credit union ATM network. It offers free ATM use at participating credit unions. You do have to be very careful to make sure there will no charge at either credit union and your home credit union absorbs the network fee. The Co-Op network also allows access to other networks, such as Pulse. Just expect to pay an ATM charge at the foreign institution.

/ Online banking suggestions #9  
For at least 20 years I used the credit union at my employer. Then I retired and moved away, but have kept the credit union.

No problems at all with internet banking. In fact the latest wrinkle is really nice. I can scan a check and deposit it over the internet. Some of the money shows up instantly in my account, $5 k within an hour or so, and all of it by the next day. Even if they were only 5 miles away, the time & gas savings would be worth it.

/ Online banking suggestions #10  
for stuff I don't need "fast" access to, I use an ingdirect orange account.
they now have a version with debit card and no fees as well.
otherwise, I use electronic bill pay and direct deposit as much as possible, which most banks do these days.