Only one line?

/ Only one line? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I looked at a used batwing cutter today. It had only one hydraulic line.

My current cutter (10' offset) is a partial mount. Front is raised and lowered by the 3-pt lift arms. Rear is raised and lowered by hydraulics. It has two hoses. One lever controls the hydraulics.

Anyone have any idea why my current cutter needs two hoses but the one I looked at needs only one? Can it be correct?

Thanks.

/ Only one line? #2  
I looked at a used batwing cutter today. It had only one hydraulic line.

My current cutter (10' offset) is a partial mount. Front is raised and lowered by the 3-pt lift arms. Rear is raised and lowered by hydraulics. It has two hoses. One lever controls the hydraulics.

Anyone have any idea why my current cutter needs two hoses but the one I looked at needs only one? Can it be correct?

Thanks.

It has a single acting cylinder instead of a double acting cylinder. In a single acting cylinder the fluid pushes the cylinder out, as you move the control valve to the other position, the fluid in the cylinder now has a path back to tank and gravity pulls down the batwing and the fluid is returned back to tank thru the same hydraulic hose that was used to raise it before.

/ Only one line?
Thanks. I'm thinking that in my current system moving the lever one way pressurizes one hose and opens the other. Going the other way reverses the process.

Never heard of a "single acting cylinder".

Lots of stuff to learn.

Thanks, again.

/ Only one line? #4  
Thanks. I'm thinking that in my current system moving the lever one way pressurizes one hose and opens the other. Going the other way reverses the process.

Lots of stuff to learn.

Thanks, again.

Ditto on the single acting cylinder. I would have told you with a single hose it will work good for about 12 gallons- after that the tractor doesn't have any fluid left!! Haha

/ Only one line? #5  

Lots of stuff to learn.

Thanks, again.

You see single acting cylinders on machinery that has something heavy that can utilize gravity to return the rod back into the bore of the cylinder. You also see them on snow plows. They wouldn't be worth spit on your loader bucket for dump/curl would they. You could dump but never get the bucket curled back up again. They would work the the lift, but you could never put any down pressure on with the loader... It would really suck, But it will work for the rotary cutter batwing. :)

/ Only one line? #6  
Ditto on the single acting cylinder. I would have told you with a single hose it will work good for about 12 gallons- after that the tractor doesn't have any fluid left!! Haha

yeah, you don't get any fluid back in the tank when the cylinder extends, like you do with a double acting cylinder. But with the size of the tractors that can pull the batwing, the amount of fluid the SA cylinder uses is probably pretty negligible.

/ Only one line?
If the fluid doesn't go back to the tank, then where does it go?

/ Only one line? #8  
If the fluid doesn't go back to the tank, then where does it go?

It comes back to the tank when you throw the control valve the other direction and the rod goes back into the bore of the cylinder.

/ Only one line? #9  
But with a DA cylinder you get some fluid back into the tank from the rod side of the DA cylinder when the rod is extended. Remember in a DA cylinder there is fluid in BOTH sides of the cylinder. The Cap side and the Rod side.

/ Only one line? #10  
yeah, you don't get any fluid back in the tank when the cylinder extends, like you do with a double acting cylinder. But with the size of the tractors that can pull the batwing, the amount of fluid the SA cylinder uses is probably pretty negligible.
I don't see how it makes any difference. The amount of fluid required to extend the cylinder is the same. And the cylinder is probably like a 3" bore 12 stroke do it wouldn't make a notable difference on any tractor. The loaders cylinder hold far more.