Operating without a thermostat?

/ Operating without a thermostat? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Last weekend I flushed the cooling system and filled it with new coolant. I noticed that coolant is flowing in the radiator as soon as the engine is started. And the temp gauge always shows the engine running cool. So I think the thermostat is missing or stuck open. The tractor seems to run perfectly but since this is my first diesel engine powered anything I don't know if running cool could be damaging anything. I would rather not try to replace the thermostat if I don't need to. If I do does anybody know which thermostat it takes? Or if it is a common one that I can just take to the auto parts store and have them match it? I know I can buy one from Hoye or Fredricks but their prices and shipping charges are ridiculous. Hoye wants 40 bucks for a thermostat and Fredricks wants 23 bucks. Those prices seem high. Hoye wants 17 bucks shipping as does Fredricks.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Operating without a thermostat? #4  
Yanmar used a lot of third-party common stuff like thermostat, alternator, oil pressure sender etc that also appeared on Datsun (Nissan) in the same era. So a generic thermostat for an 80's Japanese car at the same rated opening temperature should be fine. rScotty, is this ok?

I'll also note my YM240 (YM2000), designed a few years earlier than YM2310, doesn't have a thermostat (or temperature gauge). Only a boilover warning light. Simple, and sufficient.

/ Operating without a thermostat? #5  
I tried NAPA and nothing!

/ Operating without a thermostat?
Thanks for all the quick replies folks! I love TBN!
Eric

/ Operating without a thermostat? #8  
A diesel runs best the sooner it can get to full operating temperature. A car/truck with a stuck open thermostat will have horrible fuel mileage in a cool climate.

/ Operating without a thermostat?
A diesel runs best the sooner it can get to full operating temperature. A car/truck with a stuck open thermostat will have horrible fuel mileage in a cool climate.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like it would be a very good idea to have a working thermostat. I'm ordering one tonight.
Eric

/ Operating without a thermostat? #10  
It needs a thermostat.