Operator comfort..

/ Operator comfort.. #1  

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
In the past I've always praised manufacturers like JD for their roominess and comfort behind the wheel compared to CC. I'm not so sure now?! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I got to have some fun on a 3 year old JD 425 tonight. My FIL was borrowing it from his shop for the wknd. It's a big GT, power/hydraulic everything, yanmar diesel, 3pt hitch, HUGE mower deck, etc... I was surprized at it's lack of room behind the wheel and flimsiness of some of the dash controls! It wasn't any better than my 2544, and I bet that sucker ran $10K+ new! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It had just under 800hrs on it but was tight and responsive to operate. The yanmar was loud and vibrated a lot at idle, but smoothed out when throttled up. Hehehe, the highlight of my Friday night... Sad or what!

Joel

/ Operator comfort.. #2  
I think all the manufacturers have 'cheaped out' on controls and such over the years. I'm not sure if there was a 'heyday' of garden tractors, but the big box store sales of the major brands now have definitely put pressure all across the lines to reduce cost.

I wonder how the Yanmar in the JD compares to the similar diesel CC Super Garden Tractors of a few years ago with the Kubota diesels? All these engines run at 3600 rpm to be compatible with the gas engine versions in gearing and PTO speeds, and that's AWFULLY fast for a diesel. Must be noisy as heck.

Chris - loving my '05 2544!

/ Operator comfort.. #3  
I got to play on a CC 782D a few years ago with the Kubota engine- It's a hoot, I really want to find one of those tractors in good condition to refurbish, as when you are on it, you know its a diesel, very unique!

I think my garden tractor, "Heyday," are mainly the JD and CC machines from the mid 70's to the early 80's. These were among the last years where they made them with uncompromised quality, everything on them seemed to be made from the best materials available. (Minimal cheap plastic in other words) A lot of their predecessors were nice too, but in the late 70's the power really picked up on these small machines along with the comfort level, and the machines also got quieter with engine shrouding and enclosures. I first started seeing the corporate America push to, "cheap them out," with the garden tractors start in the mid 80's.

Favorite JD's: 140, 210,12,14,16; 300, 318, and the big 400

Favorite CC's: 1000, 1250, 1450, 1650, 682, 782, 782D, 982, 1282

-Fordlords-

/ Operator comfort.. #4  
Yeah, I tend to agree with you there! You still see a lot of the 200 series JD's running around, and still sell for $$$ on the used market.

I ran across a MINT 317 just after I bought my 2544, and kicked myself a bit, until I read the horror stories of the engine in that model. I never went to look at it to find out asking price or if it had the original engine or not.

Then, I saw a diesel CC for sale up the road a ways. I don't recall the model number, but it was one of the Super Garden Tractor series of maybe 8 years ago? It might have been a 1782, and there's one on Ebay now. Again, I never went to look at it, but it might still be available. I should find out. There is a gas Super Garden Tractor for sale just down the road, and it's got at least a 54" deck, maybe 60". Nice shape.

Last diesel tractor I drove was back when I was a kid, and got to mow some of the company property where my father worked behind a Ford 1600, I think. It was the original twin cylinder versions of the 1970's. Neat tractors, but I just can't get used to the twin cylinders. Sounded like it was always missing a cylinder. Gimme a 3 cylinder job any day.

Chris

/ Operator comfort.. #5  
Probably a good idea you stayed away from the 317, before I read your reply Chris I just finished writing a segment on the KT17 engine the 317 and 682/782 have in the "782 leaks hydro," thread.

I was eyeballing that 1782D on e-pay too! This 782D looks nice too, with great deck and snowblower:

ebay link

But I have to resist temptation (VERY hard) and try to talk myself out of spending any more money on tractors for a while /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Fordlords-

/ Operator comfort.. #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
But I have to resist temptation (VERY hard) and try to talk myself out of spending any more money on tractors for a while /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Fordlords- )</font>

Amen. Thankfully (I think) we don't have the space to store a lot of 'tractor stuff', although I'd love to have a large extra double garage with loft just for this sort of stuff. I have more hobbies than I know what to do with (or have time for), so I suppose it's self-limiting.

Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be tolling estate sales, Epay, etc. and bringing home all sorts of lost, forgotten, forlorn tractors to 'give a home to'.

Good clean fun, I suppose....

Chris

/ Operator comfort..
Too late to edit my original post! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Got another look at the JD today. It's actually a JD 455, not a 425 like I had posted. It's a 2cyl yanmar diesel.

Joel

/ Operator comfort..
Too late to edit my original post! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Got another look at the JD today. It's actually a JD 455, not a 425 like I had posted. It's a 2cyl yanmar diesel.

Joel

/ Operator comfort.. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Too late to edit my original post! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Got another look at the JD today. It's actually a JD 455, not a 425 like I had posted. It's a 2cyl yanmar diesel.

Joel )</font>

Oh yeah, I remember those. I looked up the model on the JD site - between 1100 and 1200 pounds depending if you have the 2 wheel or all wheel steer versions. Nice tractors, big bux!!!

They list the engine as a 3-cyl. Yanmar, however. JD 455 specs

Chris

/ Operator comfort.. #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Too late to edit my original post! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Got another look at the JD today. It's actually a JD 455, not a 425 like I had posted. It's a 2cyl yanmar diesel.

Joel )</font>

Oh yeah, I remember those. I looked up the model on the JD site - between 1100 and 1200 pounds depending if you have the 2 wheel or all wheel steer versions. Nice tractors, big bux!!!

They list the engine as a 3-cyl. Yanmar, however. JD 455 specs

Chris