opinions of backpack sprayers

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #31  
What is everyone using to kill brush along fencelines? Have used Roundup, but it costs a fortune to use. Anything work as well or better and is easier on the wallet?:eek:

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #32  
We've gone to a generic round-up that runs about 1/2 the price in a concentrate form. Seems to work as well for us. You find it under many different names. You want to look for the active ingredient glyphosate at 41%. That is pretty much what round-ups heavy duty concentrate is. When you say "brush" do you mean saplings and such? There are other treatments for woody types of vegetation. Round-up and its off shoots target grassy/leafy vegetation better.

MarkV

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #33  
Yes, the brush appears to mostly multifora rose, tree saplings, and some honeysuckle .

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #34  
Last year when I looked at this, the real Roundup had a higher concentration of glyphosate. I got out my calculator in the co-op and decided that there was no real difference in price based on price vs. quantity and % glyphosate. For the same real cost, I went with the name brand.

YMMV, but with a calculator in every phone and the information right there on the label, it is easy to determine the best deal.

/ opinions of backpack sprayers
That's what I was afraid of. I have about a dozen fruit trees and attempted to use the backpack sprayer on them. Good grief my arms cramped up and about fell off from the pumping. :eek:

I switched to my Spray Doc and it was much better. I fill it, pump it up and spray half the tank before pumping it again. If they made something like that in a backpack model, I would probably buy it.

I've had terrible luck with the small tanks. I seem to go through a couple a year and my trees are now taller than they can spray. The other thing is that with the amount of oil spray needed per tree, I would have to fill the little tank much more often. I've not used a Spray Doc perhaps they are better.

It was between a metal hand-held tank or the backpack sprayer. I ordered a Stihl and hope that will last me many years.

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #37  
Not on the same level as the Stihl or Solo but for the house here I bought a Stanley that my Sam's club has every year for $40. I am very careful when spraying loading etc. as I am uncomfortable about chemicals on my back but so far, knocking on wood, it has not leaked etc. (1 years use, probably 30 gallons) Might be another option to consider.

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #38  
I've got a Solo. I'm going to buy a Stihl pretty soon. The Stihl is much better made as far as I can see just from looking at it. The Solo is OK. Just too much plastic. Since I can use another one I won't be buying another Solo.

/ opinions of backpack sprayers #39  
Have a Stihl 5G20. Only issue I have had is during the hot weather the “O” ring gets dry and the felt bushing in the pump drys out also. Just keep a little oil on the pump shaft after using it. If either one drys out, it will not pressurize.