Opinions on Pole Barns

/ Opinions on Pole Barns
I think I have settled on an ESH. I just have to decide on door placement. I will have a 12' wide X 10' high insulated door on the front end with a walk door and window next to it. I will either place another 12 X 10 on the other end or was thinking of putting a 9' X 8' on the east side which would lead out under the lean-to. The lean-to will have 8' clearance that is why I sized the door that way. Any opinions? The lean-to will probably have my implements stored under it and in the future used for livestock. I am going to get the reflective insulation on the roof and sides and 12" soffits all around. From the building I have seen it appears ESH is a very good company and is very familiar with codes in the county where I live.

/ Opinions on Pole Barns #13  
I think I have settled on an ESH. I just have to decide on door placement. I will have a 12' wide X 10' high insulated door on the front end with a walk door and window next to it. I will either place another 12 X 10 on the other end or was thinking of putting a 9' X 8' on the east side which would lead out under the lean-to. The lean-to will have 8' clearance that is why I sized the door that way. Any opinions? The lean-to will probably have my implements stored under it and in the future used for livestock. I am going to get the reflective insulation on the roof and sides and 12" soffits all around. From the building I have seen it appears ESH is a very good company and is very familiar with codes in the county where I live.

My old 34 x 48 x 10 barn had 14 foot wide doors on each end. They were on the north and south 34 foot gable end walls. It was great for keeping it cool in the summer, the prevailing winds out of the south west did a great job of evacuating the heat when the doors were open at both ends of the barn. Even when the breeze was very light it was always nice to work in there.

The photo shows the barn, north is "up" barn is on the north west corner of my 3 acre parcel

Attachments

• squawfield.jpg
    squawfield.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 176
   / Opinions on Pole Barns
Nissan,
I just had two pole barns built by a company here in Oklahoma (Diamond H Construction). They did me an excellent job and beat everyone other companies price by a considerable amount. My father in law also had them build him a barn. I had a 30x50x10 with a 20 ft split slider and a 12 ft split slider for less than $10,000. I also had a custom built 36x36x10 built for livestock. I know for a fact they do build barns in Kansas. You might give them a look. They did a great job for me....

Welcome to GotBarns.Com - Others may beat our price, but NEVER our quality!!!

I called that company and they seemed really friendly. They took all of my information and said they would call me back with a bid. I did not hear from them and when I called back I got no answer.
It seems like there are a number of barn builders from Oklahoma. If I hired any of them I would have to list myself as the builder since companies need to be licensed in the county where I live in order to build. No big deal, but I have noticed that several of them will not put concrete in the holes and will use lower grade wood. May not be a big deal but I just feel more comfortable using someone who is closer.

MarkV - Unfortunately that price does not include a concrete floor.

/ Opinions on Pole Barns #15  
I called that company and they seemed really friendly. They took all of my information and said they would call me back with a bid. I did not hear from them and when I called back I got no answer.
It seems like there are a number of barn builders from Oklahoma. If I hired any of them I would have to list myself as the builder since companies need to be licensed in the county where I live in order to build. No big deal, but I have noticed that several of them will not put concrete in the holes and will use lower grade wood. May not be a big deal but I just feel more comfortable using someone who is closer.

MarkV - Unfortunately that price does not include a concrete floor.

They will all do whatever you ask them to do. To be fair you have to ask them to build the exact same building. They are just a bunch of guys trying to make a living. It is your responsibility as a consumer to specify exactly what you want. If you want solid 6 x 6 treated poles imbeded in concrete you have to tell them. They will do it. But you must make sure that everyone is bidding on the same project with the same materials. If somebody comes up with a cost saving design and it sounds reasonable to you, tell the other bidders that you want it and have them adjust their price.

The people who build pole barns for a living are some of the hardest working and most productive people I have ever met. They just flat get it done. The crew that built my barn was incredible.

/ Opinions on Pole Barns #16  
Whatever you do, insulate your barn top and sides. It's a cheap investment and you will enjoy your barn more on a year around basis. Plus, one advantage I noticed right away by insulating my shop was better humidity control. Now my tools and woodworking equipment aren't collecting rust and moisture. It's also easy to heat and cool.
Other than that, like everyone else suggested, height and big entry doors will make life alot easier. My shop is 1 year old this month. It's 30X60 with 12' sidewalls. Doors are 10x16 with one walk in door at a full 36". Total of 3 windows with one at each end to catch the summer breezes.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    736.6 KB · Views: 2,020
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 1,783
   / Opinions on Pole Barns
Well I signed the contract today and put 20% down for a 40 X 50 with 15' lean-to ESH barn. They will start sometime the last part of December. Now I have to get the grading done. Talked with my concrete guy and he said a pad would not be over 7K and that would be for a 5" pour. I still have to get a few other bids and the pour would not take place until after the barn is up. Any opinions on the advantages of going with a 5" pour compared to a 4" pour?

/ Opinions on Pole Barns #18  
Well I signed the contract today and put 20% down for a 40 X 50 with 15' lean-to ESH barn. They will start sometime the last part of December. Now I have to get the grading done. Talked with my concrete guy and he said a pad would not be over 7K and that would be for a 5" pour. I still have to get a few other bids and the pour would not take place until after the barn is up. Any opinions on the advantages of going with a 5" pour compared to a 4" pour?

More is better than less, but the prep under the concrete is the most important part of the installation. 4" is enough under good conditions. If you are building ove an old land fill then you will need a lot more. It doesn't take any more work to finish a 5" slab than it does a 4 inch slab so the 20% more material cost is all it will cost you to go to 5 inches.

/ Opinions on Pole Barns #19  
More is better than less, but the prep under the concrete is the most important part of the installation. 4" is enough under good conditions. If you are building ove an old land fill then you will need a lot more. It doesn't take any more work to finish a 5" slab than it does a 4 inch slab so the 20% more material cost is all it will cost you to go to 5 inches.

Ummmmm...What if it has to be wheel barreled or pumped or raked?

/ Opinions on Pole Barns #20  
Ummmmm...What if it has to be wheel barreled or pumped or raked?

then they should have built a taller barn..........they would have got the extra height for free:D:D:D
The money saved on concrete labor by permitting the truck to drive inside could offset the extra cost of a couple more feet of siding...

two things I have never been told...I wish my barn was shorter....I wish I had my tractor had less power

Last edited: