Opinions on stair tread sealant

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #1  

KubotainNH

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
So I installed new oak stair treads last year. Looked at the different sealants and went with a supposed "pro" one from one of the big box stores. Before I bought it I asked on the question/answer section how it would hold up to dogs, I have two. Of course they said great. Not so much, the bottom tread has a significant amount of the sealer worn off from people feet I think plus lots of scratches which are not as noticable. Anyone have a good recommendation for a clear wood covering that will last longer than a year?

thanks!

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #2  
For wood flooring (which is basically what the steps are...) the best i have found is Bona polyurethanes. They are catalyzed at the point of use. It comes with a large "gallon" bottle of PU and a smaller bottle of catalyst. You pour in the catalyst right before use and shake it up. Then you have like 4 hrs until you need to either usse it up or dispose of it. You will need to strip finish first, which will be a major PITA on stairs. For flooring finishes, you want to talk to a flooring store, not Home Depot... Pete's Floor Store in St Paul MN is where I get all my stuff. They even have a practice floor where you can get the feel for sanders before you screw up your own floor. They may sell over the web too.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #3  
You do not indicate but - are these stair treads inside or outside. If outside - I do not think I would want any polyurethane product on the treads. How in the world are you going to stand on a wood surface - treated with a poly product - when it snows.

I have two outside stairs - each has only four treads. Over the 36 years here I've always used a semi-translucent oil stain product on the wood decks and stairs. It soaks in and leaves the wood surface with a degree of traction. A poly product will leave the treads smooth as glass.

I've retreated with the oil stain product every eight to ten years. Kind of depends upon how fancy you want it to look.

Out here - I'm a whole lot more concerned with falling on my keister - than the beauty of the treads.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #4  
I use toung oil on natural treads and stair risers. Five years of traffic including two Jack Russells and they look great. If touch up is necessary, a little more oil and some 240 grit wet and dry sand paper (the black stuff) a few swipes, and they will look brand new.

B. John

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #5  
Our stair treads are hickory with 2 coats of poly. After about the third incident of guests slipping on the edge of the treads, I installed clear 2"wide 3M Industrial tread edge tape. About a 18 months so far, I LIKE it! Eliminates the problem of edge wear too.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #6  
Tung oil or boiled linseed oil. Either one is easy to apply and very easy to touch up.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #7  
The product should have aluminum oxide in it and most of the time it’s a polyurethane- especially with the pets. Water based dries fast and the oil based dries slow. Both have a place. HD and other box stores can either get it or more than likely have something in stock.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #8  
I honestly don't understand why the box stores sell what they sell. For wood flooring, you really have to go to the solid oak wood flooring supply house. They will have what you need.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant
Thanks for all the ideas. These are inside steps and I really don't want to strip them to reseal them. Maybe I'll experiment with areas that can't be seen. I like the info on Bona and the clear safety strip is an idea if it looks decent. I'd have to research to find an actual flooring store around here, the closest I know of is Lumber Liquidators but they seem more big box store like so not necessarily knowledgable.

/ Opinions on stair tread sealant #10  
Thanks for all the ideas. These are inside steps and I really don't want to strip them to reseal them. Maybe I'll experiment with areas that can't be seen. I like the info on Bona and the clear safety strip is an idea if it looks decent. I'd have to research to find an actual flooring store around here, the closest I know of is Lumber Liquidators but they seem more big box store like so not necessarily knowledgable.

What did you use the first time? Did it have aluminum oxide in it? Adding poly on top of old poly in an acceptable practice. The old layer just needs to be sanded smooth and clean- not stripped.