Opinions on this chain option?

/ Opinions on this chain option? #1  

Mark N

Tractor
CK3520SEHSTCAB
I've looked at several chain threads, but didn't find a good answer for this --

The cost of really good rear tire chains is a bit daunting, and for my location I cannot justify the cost for the relatively infrequent use (one heavier snow season every 4-5 years in this part of the mid-Atlantic).

That said, I see the benefit of having "something" available when we do get a decent amount of snow. (I do realize that most folks in this region have no idea what "real" snow is. I spent four years in the plains of central Illinois, including one year in which we got multiple feet of snow and the university closed -- something that had happened only a handful of times in 120+ years. And for those of you farther north, I imagine that central Illinois snow is a drop in the bucket to you!).

I have been thinking about making up a set of DIY chains ($150-$200) as a not-nearly-as-effective alternative, to have at least something that would help in snow.

Today I came across these, at $371: 15x19.5 Aquiline Multi Purpose Tire Chains (MPC) for Equipment With Minimal Clearance -1 Pair - Ken Jones Tires

I'm thinking this might be a decent compromise between cost and performance. Does anyone have experience with these chains? What do you all think about this option?

Thanks!

/ Opinions on this chain option? #2  
I have a pair of Aquiline chains and they perform very well and are not as heavy (weight) as the chains I had previously.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #4  
I have looked and had my hands on a set of those.
For your wants and needs I'd say grab them.
Myself I want a heavier duty chain from the same manufacture.
They will give you a ride that is almost the same as no chains while vastly improving your traction especially on wet packing snow.

/ Opinions on this chain option?
Lou, thank you very much.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #6  
I use to own a set of those Aquiline MPC chains. I put them on a 19hp 4x4 kubota with a loader and turf tires. Honestly I never really used them in snow/ice. How ever I did use them in sticky wet clay and they worked very well. I was useing the machine mostly for loader work or to pull tree tops in slightly hilly terrain. The fact that these chains allow your tires to always be riding on chain makes them better than a traditional ladder style chain for just a bit more money. I see them working really well on ice due to there square cut and hardened steel.

If I was to get another set of chains I would get them.
I live in the northeast.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #7  
   / Opinions on this chain option? #8  
Nothing wrong with classic cross chains (Vbar? on the Ken Jones site) There are many sellers for them. I run them year round on turf tires)

/ Opinions on this chain option? #9  
Nothing wrong with classic cross chains (Vbar? on the Ken Jones site) There are many sellers for them. I run them year round on turf tires)
I did the same thing for years with turf tires. Lightweight cross chains on turf tires are Great Combo on hilly terrain. Good fitting chains give a good smooth ride and make the wide low pressure turf tires last forever.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #10  
I studded my R4's for snow blowing and no longer put the chains on

I hate using my double ladder chains because they walk and have a rough ride