Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Found this on YouTube and thought it was interesting. I had never heard of an opposed piston engine before. To keep on topic, do you think we’ll ever see an opposed piston, supercharged and turbocharged, two stroke, Diesel engine without cylinder heads in our trucks or tractors?

Opposed Piston Diesel Engines Are Crazy Efficient - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #2  
Fairbanks Morse has been making large OP engines from at least the 1930's. Mainly used in ships and locomotives.

Fairbanks Morse 38 8-1/8 diesel engine - Wikipedia

"The Fairbanks-Morse 38 8-1/8 is a diesel engine of the two-stroke, opposed-piston type. It was developed in the 1930s, and is similar in arrangement to a contemporary series of German Junkers aircraft diesels. The engine was used extensively in US diesel electric submarines of the 1940s and 1950s, as backup power on most US nuclear submarines, as well as in other marine applications, stationary power generation, and briefly, locomotives. A slightly modified version, the 38ND 8-1/8, continues in service on Los Angeles-, Seawolf-, and Ohio-class nuclear submarines of the US Navy. The 38 8-1/8 has been in continuous production since its development in 1938, and is currently manufactured by Fairbanks-Morse Engine of Beloit, Wisconsin. "

Bruce

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #3  
We had a Skidoo Olympic opposed twin snowsled that would go anywhere. Gasoline of course, not diesel.371 opposed piston - Vintage Ski Doo's - DOOTalk Forums The only downside was that one piston was aimed right at your private parts, and back then there were no guards or other protection.

Last edited:
   / Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #4  
Fairbanks Morse has been making large OP engines from at least the 1930's. Mainly used in ships and locomotives.
Bruce

Every model train 'layout' deserves at least one FM diesel. (My 3-rail 'tinplate' MTA FM is in UP vs Penn livery :rolleyes:)

Along with FM there was the 3-crankshaft 'Napier Deltic', also used for marine and rail power.
deltic engine - Google Search

Was it the Achates that we've been told we might see in F-150s, and would it be 'gas' or 'diesel'?

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #5  
The skidoo OP points the cylinders apart....the Fairbanks OP points the pistons towards each other with one common combustion chamber (2 crankshafts).

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #6  
Be hard to get a two stoke past the EPA nowdays, efficiency doesn't count there.

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #7  
Intresting design, RE: link in 1st post. Im a fan of all things diesel, turbo-, super-charged, or otherwise... looking forward to where it ends up in a few years.

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #8  
Superior Air Parts jumped on this wagon about 4 years ago and had a mock up at the big airshows. I believe they ran into a few development problems and gave up (???). The 2 cycle was a dirty engine but aircraft engines were exempt. One issue was restarting at altitude.

Gemini Diesel aircraft engine from Superior Air Parts. - YouTube

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #9  
Be hard to get a two stoke past the EPA nowdays, efficiency doesn't count there.

I had always heard that one reason Fairbank's OP engine has lasted so long was because of it's efficiency. At the time I was there, the OP's were the small engines and the Pielstick PC4's were the big ones. I don't know what they have now.

/ Opposed Piston Diesel Engines are Crazy Efficient #10  

Gas 2 stoke that needs oil added. Yes, these engines are completely different. I thought I heard Ford was working on a Gasoline opposed piston engine for the F-150. I remember hearing they are out testing them and have lots of miles on them.