Kubota L3540, JD Z445 Mower, JD LX188 Lawn Tractor
For lawn attachments I have:

- Sweeper
- Spreader
- Sprayer
- Plug aerator
- Dethatcher

And also a small dump trailer.

I have had a JD LX188 Lawn Tractor for almost 20 years that was my do-all unit for lawn maintenance for many years. I added a zero-turn mower a few years ago but discovered it was excellent at mowing but practically useless for using most lawn attachments. It's okay for the trailer and sprayer but the rest need the ability to reach back to a lever or control rod on the attachment while operating - can't reach and can't drive the z-turn with one-hand. So I kept the lawn tractor alongside the z-turn; unfortunately, the lawn tractor has reached the end of road with the engine's compression dropping too low.

I am going to keep the z-turn because it is such an awesome tool for mowing but need to find another way to pull around the lawn attachments. Maybe I need to find another well-used lawn tractor for cheap or ....?

What do you use for pulling lawn attachments?

Ideas/suggestions?

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments? #3  
Or maybe new rings and a valve job.

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments? #4  
I would, definitely, tap the pistons out for a new set of rings. Then lap those valve seats, for sure.
You won't find another viable mower for less than $500.
A tractor minus its' deck can go for around $200 in my neck of the woods.
You know what you've got in your current rig.

If you're capable, I'd dance with the gal I brought to the dance.
Just get the dentist to fix those buck teeth.
The podiatrist can fix those bow legs & your Momma's stylist can fix that behive coiffeur she's sportin'.
She'll look right nice with a little buffing out.

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments? #5  
Look for an older Garden tractor VS a lawn tractor. Like an older IH Cub Cadet with shaft drive and either the 3spd gear transmission or the hydrostatic transmission. Both are built like a tank, have cast iron block Kohler K series engines and are all metal. NO plastic hoods to get brittle and break. Also an older Kubota G series diesel garden tractor like a G4200/G5200. Then no worries about the gas going bad when it sits of long periods. There is a decent old G5200 for sale locally for $800 with a good mower deck. With proper upkeep that tractor will outlive us all. Mike

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments? #6  
I agree with others, fix what you have - Kawasaki make good engines and with new rings and valve redo you will be good for a number of years.

I kept my Cub Cadet 1811 Hydro when I got the ZT for exactly these uses - thatcher, fertilizer spreader, mosquito spray rig, cart work, etc. Yes it takes some maintenance every few years but I know what I have and how to keep it going.

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments? #7  
It's probably worth the time to fix the Kawasaki in your JD.

The easy fix would be to find an old gear drive garden tractor in running condition.

I sold an old Craftsman I got for free a couple years ago I wish I would have kept. It had a 3speed trans with high and low range.

Be aware that some of the newer so called garden tractors came with a weak version of the tufftorq transaxles. I picked up a Husky that had a bad trans for free. Bought a totally ragged out lawn tractor for $20 on a gamble and used the trans out of it. My daughter is still beating on it.

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments? #8  
What about an engine swap?

/ Options for pulling lawn attachments?
I like the idea of fixing the engine - I didn't find any clear-cut descriptions of doing that on the internet. The engine rebuild kits also seemed expensive. I will have to dig deeper to see what I can find (and ask around the local small engine shops to see if someone wants the work before busy season).

Perhaps I will stumble upon a good used option - they just seem to be few and far between around here.

I was hoping someone had some ingenious idea for a totally different solution - no such luck. Will need to just grind-out the effort on a rebuild or a different used unit.

Thanks for the input.