ordering parts to replace m59 propeller seal and have run into parts issue.

/ ordering parts to replace m59 propeller seal and have run into parts issue. #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
Kubota M59 Parts Diagrams

That is the parts diagram for m59 propeller.

First, I ordered part 180, its the 'updated' seal and sleeve kit for the m59. Went to pick up from dealer and it has the front drive shaft included. So in its was the seal(60) and 2 sleeves(70) and the front drive shaft(120)...Why would it contain a drive shaft? the dealer could have cared less, he had no ideal, and just ripped the seal out and the 2 sleeves and sold them separately to me. So now I am looking and there are 2 seals listed as part 60. which one do I actually need? There is also a spacer that goes on the propeller shaft, part 40, that is not on the picture. Its about 6" long and I cut mine trying to spring load pressure against the seal. Anyways, there are 2 part numbers for part 40 that is serial number specific. I called messics to order that part because I was hoping they would have more experience, but they didn't and kubota left absolutely no notes, or any explanation on whats going on. So messiks has put a call in to kubota and won't hear from them until monday, but I was hoping maybe somebody here has had to deal with this parts anomaly and has experience.

My thought, there is a lot of front to back slop on the propeller drive shaft and the actual propeller shaft. The 6" sleeve rests behind the coupling on the propeller shaft in clutch housing. It will slide back and forth quite a bit. Part number 70 is a small metal sleeve with rubber inside it that fits on the shaft and goes thorough the seal itself. It is what backs forward and out of the seal to cause the leak. IMO, the 6" spacer(40) should rest snuggly against sleeve(70), and snuggly against the coupling(110) to make sure there is no forward slippage of sleeve. Now, the reason,IMO, they sent the drive shaft with the seal kit is it longer than stock, because the drive shaft I have slides back and forth a lot within the couplings. A longer dive shaft would give a rigid place for the spacer to butt against, so it couldn't slide forward and out of seal.

This is my thoughts. I will hopefully hear from messicks monday after they hear back from kubota, but he was not too confident there would be an answer. So more than likely, I will go and pick up that drive shaft that came with the seal kit, and order both spacers and measure and see what fit is best when the put tractor back together. Hopefully I will have some picks as a neighbor is going to be doing the repair. But I will document what I find out. I will add that messicks have been very helpful, its kubota that has left us clueless.

/ ordering parts to replace m59 propeller seal and have run into parts issue. #2  
Good morning.

I just took a a look at the diagram. I can't help with the the reason on the driveshaft length, but my L5240 lists two seals like yours. One is the same P/N as your 1st one and the 2nd one has notes for a serial number break (likely an updated seal). Maybe the notes are not updated on the M59 page? I suspect that the L series has seen far more repairs like this due to the volume sold vs the M59, which is the reason the notes might not be updated.

Have you removed the seal yet? I don't recall the internal shaft on mine having any back & forth play, in fact it was very difficult to get the seal, bushing and snap ring back in place. The external driveshaft did have some play back & forth.

I also raised the front of the mid case quite high with an engine hoist so that it would not pour out a large amount of fluid while we made the repair. Some ran out, but that was probably good to get the area flushed out before we installed the new seal.

Are you doing the Input seal to the HST also while you are there? I found that one to be easier than the propeller shaft seal to complete.

Good luck!

/ ordering parts to replace m59 propeller seal and have run into parts issue.
There is no play on internal shaft.

Question, what keeps your sleeve from backing away from seal on yours?

The pic is of my seal and 2 sleeves that came in seal kit. Not pictured is the external drive shaft that came with kit.

Attachments

• image-1490160253.jpg
    image-1490160253.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 75
   / ordering parts to replace m59 propeller seal and have run into parts issue. #4  
There is no play on internal shaft. Question, what keeps your sleeve from backing away from seal on yours? The pic is of my seal and 2 sleeves that came in seal kit. Not pictured is the external drive shaft that came with kit.

The snap ring prevents the sleeve from backing out. I never messed with the one behind the seal. I did not replace the sleeves on mine by the way..

One thing to make sure of.. The Kubota mechanic stressed this to me before I started.... Once the snap ring is removed, apply some pressure to the end of the shaft. There is nothing stopping the shaft from coming forward. He said if it comes out of the splines in the transmission, you are in for some fun. He said he spent two hours getting one back in place by feel. I had my father keep his thumb on the shaft while I was pulling out the old seal.