Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #1  

JimME

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4300DT
One for "They don't make them like they used to" category. My L4300DT is still using the original battery. I purchased the tractor new in May 2001 and the markings on the battery indicate it was installed in 3/2000. That makes it very close to 20 years old.

I just took the battery out of the tractor today for the very first time to clean it up, hook it up to an analyzer and charge it. The analyzer indicates it has 50% of it's original capacity and it's resting voltage is 12.55V. The charge eye was green and I'll retest after I charge it.

The battery is model NX110-5LMF. BTW, I have lived in Maine since 2003 and the tractor is kept in an outdoor barn with no heat.

I hope it lasts awhile longer and I have no delusion that any replacement battery I can buy will last anywhere near this long.

Who else has gotten this type of life out of their original battery?

Jim in ME

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131
   / Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #2  
That’s great! I changed the battery out in my L3830HST last fall. I bought it new in 2006 so 13 years in my possession. I bought a Kubota replacement battery, I’m not expecting it to last that long but it was cheaper than Wal Mart.
IMG_3067.jpg

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #3  
One for "They don't make them like they used to" category. My L4300DT is still using the original battery. I purchased the tractor new in May 2001 and the markings on the battery indicate it was installed in 3/2000. That makes it very close to 20 years old.

I just took the battery out of the tractor today for the very first time to clean it up, hook it up to an analyzer and charge it. The analyzer indicates it has 50% of it's original capacity and it's resting voltage is 12.55V. The charge eye was green and I'll retest after I charge it.

The battery is model NX110-5LMF. BTW, I have lived in Maine since 2003 and the tractor is kept in an outdoor barn with no heat.

I hope it lasts awhile longer and I have no delusion that any replacement battery I can buy will last anywhere near this long.

Who else has gotten this type of life out of their original battery?

Jim in ME

These days 10+ years is not uncommon for a cranking battery but 20 is exceptional.

Have you bought your lottery ticket yet?

SDT

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #4  
. . . BTW, I have lived in Maine since 2003 and the tractor is kept in an outdoor barn with no heat. . . .

Colder ambient temps reduce the chemical reaction rate thus diminishing available current but also tend to increase battery lifetime.

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #5  
How many hours of use do you have on your tractor? I bought 2005 and still have the original battery, with 730 hours (50/yr so not much).

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #6  
I just pulled my Sams club battery out of the Tahoe to return,dead less than 2 years old.

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #7  
For me this June will be 13 years with a very hard 1200+ hr. I keep my tractor under a lean-to, below 20* I use block heater, if in the single numbers without bock heater it wont even turn over.

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #8  
I was able to get 14+ years from my OEM battery from 2004, and it might have lasted another season but Indiana winters are unpredictable. Had about 450 hours at that time.

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT #9  
Yep they don't make things ...LOT things...like they use to,but one thing for sure prices high with less life time.
L2800HST still has it's original battery going on 12 years and strong.

/ Original battery still going after 20 years! L4300DT
I just finished reinstalling the battery in the tractor. I was able to "rejuvenate" the battery to over 70%, increase the CCA and lower the internal resistance by using this method: How To RENEW CAR & TRUCK Batteries & SAVE BIG MONEY! - YouTube I've used this method or a variation of it on several batteries now and it's worked. You will need a charger with a high amp start or charge setting.

I did some checking online and it appears there is a company named Delkor that sells a battery with the exact same model number that's in my Kubota tractor. Unfortunately the only hits seem to be in Australia Maybe they were the OEM of the original battery?

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71