Original Tractor Cab Install/Removal Techniques

/ Original Tractor Cab Install/Removal Techniques #1  

dadohead

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere GX335
My wife ordered me an Original tractor cab last year just in time to install before a 1 1/2 week long, below zero cold snap. Wow... should have done that years back! No more 'reading the wind' before pointing the SB spout or getting frosted by a sudden wind shift. So, the cab was initially assembled right onto the machine (JD2520); no issues I couldn't handle by myself. Removal was a little sketchy. I removed the doors (left the front glass and roof on), unbolted the 4 corners, and called my wife to help me lift it off. We removed it successfully but I remember it was top heavy and awkward with just us two. I plan on getting the tractor 'snow ready' in the next few weeks. The kids could always be called to come help me install it back but they are hours away and busy as well.

What install/removal techniques have any of you perfected on installing your Original cab? I have a heated shop and 4 hands at my disposal. Thx!

/ Original Tractor Cab Install/Removal Techniques #2  
Welcome to TBN.
I had an Original tractor cab on my previous tractor. Only thing I ever took off in summer was the doors.
Since yours is already off and you want to put back on, how about hanging a chain fall or come-a-long to the rafters to lift it. Might also be able to use an engine hoist from the floor.
Is there a reason why you need to remove the top in summer?

/ Original Tractor Cab Install/Removal Techniques #3  
I have a Harbor Freight hoist in the rafters of my garage, Works great for lifting my winter cab on and off my tractor.
I also use it to lift the front of the riding mowers in the air so I can clean the decks and take off and sharpen the blades.
I use it all the time to pick things up and put them down.
Here is a link to the one I have. they make them from 440 lbs to 2000 lbs. have a nice long cord also.
https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html

/ Original Tractor Cab Install/Removal Techniques #4  
I have had an OTC for almost 10 years. I take it completely off each year. I originally came up with a scheme to take the doors off and lift the rest to the ceiling of the pole barn. It worked but it was awkward and difficult. Now I just disassemble it as needed to store it flat on a shelf. After a few years of practice, it doesn't take that long to put it on or take it off. It's also a good opportunity to clean and lubricate everything on the tractor.

/ Original Tractor Cab Install/Removal Techniques
Thanks for the responses everyone! It really helped. I like the idea of keeping the cab together and since a few of you have had success lifting and lowering the cab... here's where I landed.

20211127_103020.jpg

I added a box rail (for barn doors) to the ceiling of my shop this week. A single truck supports a deer lift; it has a lock so it can lift, lock, and slide without hands on the rope. Next, I fashioned a beam lift that secures onto the top of the cab.

20211127_104935.jpg

Backing the tractor under the rail center, my wife and I just slid the cab over the ROPS and lowered onto the tractor.

20211127_110136.jpg

20211127_133430.jpg

It took about 3 minutes total to set the cab; an absolute non-issue. The next 45 minutes, however, was bolting it in, adjusting, and hanging the doors. Wasn't too bad. Hopefully, I'll get faster at it with practice! Thanks again for your help everyone!