OSHA at work?

/ OSHA at work? #21  
I can hear the blades spinning. I really don't see how you could get tangled in a bush hog pto shaft. It is between all three 3pt arms. Why in the heck would you be down there anyway?

/ OSHA at work? #22  
If you are within "range" of any PTO powered implement that is connected to a tractor, the tractor should be off and the key should be in your pocket.
Period, no ifs, ands or buts. That takes care of the whole argument as then you can hear that the impliment is spinning down (that is if you didn't make the smart move of dropping the engine RPMs to idle before disengaging the PTO so it has less stored energy to spin down)

Aaron Z

/ OSHA at work? #23  
If you are within "range" of any PTO powered implement that is connected to a tractor, the tractor should be off and the key should be in your pocket. Period, no ifs, ands or buts. That takes care of the whole argument as then you can hear that the impliment is spinning down (that is if you didn't make the smart move of dropping the engine RPMs to idle before disengaging the PTO so it has less stored energy to spin down) Aaron Z

Interesting you say, the key should be in your pocket". Way back in the past Allis-Chalmers made roto-balers. Similar today's large round baler except the bale was about 60 pounds. Problem was that people would work on them while running. Doing so they would lose fingers, arms, and lives. Then they would sue. Oh my gosh did they sue. Fifteen years after they were out of production Allis-Chalmers was considering buying them back. The person who was last responsible for the baler told me he had at that time received an interrogatory regarding a lawsuit asking the name and current address every person involved in the design of the baler. He said he ended up listing cemeteries for their current address because most involved in the design were dead at that time. When I dealt with him he was then writing our operator's manuals. For virtually everything he started off by stating to, "Shut the machine off. Remove the key from the start switch and put it in your pocket." Me - I still have a scar almost the full length of my thumb due to a PTO accident - my dad and uncle ran a very hazardous farm operation. My cousin and I still talk about close calls we had in those days.

/ OSHA at work? #24  
Interesting you say, the key should be in your pocket". Way back in the past Allis-Chalmers made roto-balers. Similar today's large round baler except the bale was about 60 pounds. Problem was that people would work on them while running. Doing so they would lose fingers, arms, and lives.
For me, it goes back to:
1. I like my limbs the way they are
2. I don't trust others with my life and limbs if I can avoid it
3. My mother in law got knocked over by one of her grandkids when they were playing on the golf cart and the key was left on
I don't always put the key in my pocket, but I do if others are around and if I am doing something near the PTO, the key is off.

Aaron Z

/ OSHA at work? #25  
I can hear the blades spinning. I really don't see how you could get tangled in a bush hog pto shaft. It is between all three 3pt arms. Why in the heck would you be down there anyway?

I think the great danger might come from when someone is messing with a hydraulic line, or hitch, or climbing up to grab something off the tractor, or whatever, at the back of the tractor and a loose sleeve, or hoody drawstring, or shirt tail, shoe string, etc.. that is unknowing hanging from them gets entangled and pulls them into the spinning shaft.

Be careful of drawstrings hanging from your jackets!!

/ OSHA at work? #26  
I think the great danger might come from when someone is messing with a hydraulic line, or hitch, or climbing up to grab something off the tractor, or whatever, at the back of the tractor and a loose sleeve, or hoody drawstring, or shirt tail, shoe string, etc.. that is unknowing hanging from them gets entangled and pulls them into the spinning shaft.
Be careful of drawstrings hanging from your jackets!!
Unless running a wood chipper (or something similar), the tractor should be OFF anytime you leave the seat with a piece of PTO powered equipment attached.

Aaron Z

/ OSHA at work? #27  
Unless running a wood chipper (or something similar), the tractor should be OFF anytime you leave the seat with a piece of PTO powered equipment attached.

Aaron Z

So... not only should we stay away from the totally enclosed and shrouded PTO (that isn't spinning, nor is the shaft inside it spinning), but the tractor should be off too! And as some suggest the key should be in our pocket.

For safety's sake, shouldn't we also put up some red "DO NOT CROSS" safety tape and maybe some barriers around the tractor and equipment too if were going to get off the tractor? Additionally the PTO lever should be chained in the off position, with a Master lock securing the chain. All proper OSHA Lock Out-Tag Out (LOTO) procedures should be followed (photo ID badge on lock, time/date stamp, etc...)

I mean "We can't be too safe...." & "If just one injury is prevented, it's all worth it......"

/ OSHA at work? #28  
So... not only should we stay away from the totally enclosed and shrouded PTO (that isn't spinning, nor is the shaft inside it spinning), but the tractor should be off too! And as some suggest the key should be in our pocket.

For safety's sake, shouldn't we also put up some red "DO NOT CROSS" safety tape and maybe some barriers around the tractor and equipment too if were going to get off the tractor? Additionally the PTO lever should be chained in the off position, with a Master lock securing the chain. All proper OSHA Lock Out-Tag Out (LOTO) procedures should be followed (photo ID badge on lock, time/date stamp, etc...)

I mean "We can't be too safe...." & "If just one injury is prevented, it's all worth it......"

Actually, none of that's necessary if you just turn the tractor off, as Aaron suggests. ;)

/ OSHA at work? #29  
I think the great danger might come from when someone is messing with a hydraulic line, or hitch, or climbing up to grab something off the tractor, or whatever, at the back of the tractor and a loose sleeve, or hoody drawstring, or shirt tail, shoe string, etc.. that is unknowing hanging from them gets entangled and pulls them into the spinning shaft. Be careful of drawstrings hanging from your jackets!!
Then your feet are inches from spinning blades. The blades don't care to cut up humans along with brush.

/ OSHA at work? #30  
As Threepoint said, all you have to do is turn off the engine when you will be off the tractor and near a PTO powered implement (as is probably recommended in your tractor and implement owners manuals). If you are close enough that you risk getting tangled in the PTO shaft, you are probbaly also at risk for losing toes and other appendages to the mower blades, etc.
Yes, your starter will wear out a little faster, but the savings in pain and hospital bills will more than pay for the replacement starter.

If you have people foolish enough to mess with the tractor who will try to start it even though the key is out, you might need to do that :shocked: :confused3:. In my case, if the key is out, no one else will mess with it.

Aaron Z